Best winter Castelli glove

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I have a good selection of Castelli gloves - the Lightness, Chiro Due, and CW 4.0WS. The following recommendations are for dry weather riding: Lightnes, good for 9 Celsius and above, about the same temp I would wear DeFeet Wool Duraglove. CW 4.0WS, good for 4-9 Celsius. Chiro Due, can go a little colder maybe 2-9 Celsius.

The Diluvio are a neoprene glove for rain riding. They won't keep your hands dry, but they will keep them warm while wet. They are functionally no different than neoprene paddling gloves for kayaking. In Canada, Mtn Equipment Co-op sells a house-brand neoprene glove that works well, I bet REI has something similar in its stores.

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Has anyone tried the niche ones?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

wassertreter wrote:Whatever you end up with, let us know how you like it.

Of the full-finger ones I've been only using the Sessanta which is nice, but obviously not for rainy or really cold weather. Anyway I've generally be finding Castelli's advertised temperature range to be fairly conservative, and the quality consistent, you'll probably not go terribly wrong by that.

Wassertreter
Ended up with the Super Nano. Really good gloves. Very nice sleek fit and look beautifully made. I love Assos but their gloves are not great in my opinion. These are much better styled and made. Definately for chilly not cold weather. Anyway I'm very pleased I bought them.

VNTech

by VNTech

The Diluvios are essentially neoprene diving gloves. You are supposed to sweat, the water warms and keeps your hands warm. Problem is, the gloves themselves don't have a ton of insulation, so that hand sweat can turn cold. Then you're screwed. As previously mentioned, they're a bit stinky as well.

Pick up the Diluvio gloves for WET and cold days when anything else will just soak through. That is what they are designed for, and they will be warmer than an insulated but wet glove. Leave them at home when it's cold and dry and go for something with wind proofing and better insulation.

If you really want to use the Diluvios in cold weather (perhaps if rain is on the horizon, but not guaranteed), just put a liner over top of them for a bit more insulation. DO NOT put a liner inside them, that defeats the design.

If you really want Castelli, the Estremos are the warmest I've used. Comfy down to about just below freezing. But if want really warm, pick up a set of "lobster" gloves (mitten with a split down the middle) from Pearl or Craft.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

xrs2

by xrs2

I am a big proponent of modern materials for cycling clothes, but in my opinion nothing works better than wool gloves. Buy two or three pairs: one thin, one a little heavier, and one thick. Layer as necessary.

I've tried Assos and Castelli gloves, and they just don't work as well as wool for keeping my hands warm and dry.