Giro shoes: Factor vs Prolight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

Looking at purchasing one of these as I can get good pricing on Giro, but can't decide on which. Unable to try on the Prolight. Like the lightweight of Prolight but not sure about the 3 velcro straps vs the ratchet (have always had a ratchet on sidis). Anyone decided on these two with feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

I've had a few shoes with just velcro straps- D2s and Prolights. It's not that difficult to loosen the straps during long hot rides or to get them adjusted right at the start of a ride.

It seems like the Prolights fit similar to my old Sidis, although I went up a half size.

irf3

by irf3

I've ridden the prolight, trans, and apecx. I was also worried about not having a ratchet - not getting tight enough or not having enough adjustment. But, I got along fine with the three velcro straps. The fact that the prolights are so light means they are supple and they can really form to your feet.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

irf3 wrote:I've ridden the prolight, trans, and apecx. I was also worried about not having a ratchet - not getting tight enough or not having enough adjustment. But, I got along fine with the three velcro straps. The fact that the prolights are so light means they are supple and they can really form to your feet.

I don't see the relationship.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I have a pair of both and sizing is exactly the same. They are not super wide but not super narrow. Not a big toe box if that's what your after. I find the Velcro gets more than tight enough for me. As does the ratchet. Although in a crash the ratchets are more prone to damage as I have found out. Both use the same sole with same stack height so no disadvantages there.

I would recommend them very highly, that is if they fit.

D

mrfish

by mrfish

Buy whatever looks best. Both perform well.

In practical terms it's a wash - the up / downsides are marginal. The biggest upside for ratchets is that you can still adjust your shoes through lycra overshoes. Otherwise velcro all the way.

fio
in the industry

by fio

I've got the Factors. Decent shoes, nothing exceptional though. I bought them mostly for their wide fit. However, the ratchet isn't the best. It tightens just fine, but when you push the button to release it, it releases way too much i.e. you can't just release to one notch looser. It'll do about 5-6 notches with just a push of that button. Kind of annoying, especially when you want to loosen things up just a little on a ride...

Bregne

by Bregne

Get the Empires!

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Bregne wrote:Get the Empires!

It won't be shipping for another month or so? I've been checking the Giro site, daily.

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

I've got the Prolights after wearing various shoes w/ratchets and love the 3 velco straps.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

CrazyCaramel

by CrazyCaramel

I debated over the exact same thing. In the end went with the Factors. Big mistake. The ratchet is *f##k* useless!!! I bought the shoes right after they first came out and I'm on my third set of ratchets after the previous ones literally fell apart in my hands. They've designed them to be lightweight but forgot about strength and durability.

Great show when their not broken though. Get the Prolights, velcro wont break. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Really? I love my Factors.

No problems at all with the ratchet, very stiff sole and little stretch (I bought them when they first came out so they've had a lot of wear). I'd happily try another shoe that fit as well if I could find one but for me the Factor is pretty much spot on.

Personally I'll stick to the Factor but that's on price only. I've never understood the need to 'upgrade' from velcro.