50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

antifocus

by antifocus

I think the brake pad provided by farsports is a little different from Reynolds cryo blue in color, maybe they are not the same thing?
BTW, nice bike, prendrefeu? :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

@ Craigagogo
I'll let you know on Monday, this weekend should see some significant climbing and I'll also try it down one of the steeper descents on both Friday and Saturday. Friday's descents can be 10-12% but short, on Saturday I'll have a +10% that goes for a bit over 3 miles.

@Guy
Cassette and chain. I remove them from the bike, use a zip tie to hold the cassette together (but really unnecessary with the SRAM cassette). I don't clean the lockring though or anything anodized: the citrus based cleaner I use will take it all off in a matter of seconds. Post-ultrasonic cleaner the parts are removed and only a little brushing is necessary to remove the really stubborn stuff which was already loosened. Quick rinse in hot water, then I dry it immediately with a heat gun, evaporating all the water. Perfectly clean and I can let the machine work its magic while I wash the rest of the bike.

@roadytracky
No idea yet! The weight is lower, sure, but are the hubs any better than the BHS hubs I used for another wheelset? We'll see. The BHS hubs are super smooth despite thousands of miles logged and jumping off curbs, off roading, etc:. Mechanics in my local shop remarked they (BHS) were the smoothest hubs they've seen in a while. I'm interested to see how these compare.

@antifocus
Possibly - but they look awful similar and had both the same tactile feel in my hand as well as similar resistance to bending. For now I'll run the Reynolds Blue.

I'll photograph the bike proper later on.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

eric

by eric

The FarSports pads looked real similar to Reynolds blue to me too. I already had a set of Reynolds so I've been using them.

That bike is really clean. Mine have never been that clean except on the day I build them.

I'm pretty sure the ED hub is another Bitex, like BHS.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I like to clean my bike every two weeks. Thoroughly. :twisted:

syncmaster

by syncmaster

What model is your frame? Looks great!

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

prendrefeu wrote:I like to clean my bike every two weeks. Thoroughly. :twisted:

Hey Prendrefeu, thats a cleaning regime to be proud of. Not necessarily appropriate in this thread but would love to know products and how you keep the steed so clean. The ride report is also anticipated with interest!

parajba

by parajba

...Any news on the FarSports 50mm clincher wheels? Have can they be so light for being clinchers?

eric

by eric

This whole thread is about the farsports 50mm clinchers.

parajba

by parajba

Eric, true, and I read it all (ouch!).
What I meant (and I should have been clearer!) is an update from Prendrefeu since he recently bought them...Curious to know what he thinks.

addictR1

by addictR1

how are the wheelset holding up in all the pounding and descents?

Roger9

by Roger9

The wheels arrived yesterday, shipped on the 15th after 3 days for build. Great service so far.

Weight was 1350g. FSC50CM with EDhub. It has stopped raining so time for a ride.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

parajba wrote:Eric, true, and I read it all (ouch!).
What I meant (and I should have been clearer!) is an update from Prendrefeu since he recently bought them...Curious to know what he thinks.

I've got a report written up as a draft, and want to do one more ride tomorrow morning to verify what I wrote for my own sakes. So far, so good (overall).
Since it will be about the 38mm CC's I will probably start it off as a new thread. Work pending, I'll be able to finish it off sometime tomorrow afternoon (PST).

Thanks! :thumbup:

parajba

by parajba

Thanks Prendrefeu!

keith

by keith

what's the saddle?
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

right... i think i need a set of these...

some quick questions:-

i weigh 95kgs... should i be looking at CS wheels or CM wheels. There also appears to be a CN option via the wheelsfar.com website which links from the farsports website?

is wheelsfar the same as farsports? is there a difference (in terms of service and price) between the two?

not sure whether to go with 50mm or 60mm... am thinking 60mm at the moment

I'm also thinking of going with Bitex white hubs... are they any good? or should i be sidestepping these and going for Novatec or Edhub?

cheers