Slammed stems...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r_mutt

by r_mutt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Sagan is riding a custom frame with extra long top tube, hence no need for slamming.

artray

by artray

I just got a Ritchey -17 degrees slammed on my trek rebuild . Because of the very short head tube it does not look as angled down as I thought it would but still looks very aggressive . I will post the trek soon. Just waiting for the fybre lyte top cap to come.

headwind816

by headwind816

Sagan rides a custom?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

r_mutt wrote:Peter Sagan's non-slammed stem:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/a ... -33604/46/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slammed just the dust cap isn't like 1mm or 8mm.

GT56

by GT56

Frankie13 wrote:Slammed on the Canyon Ultimate CF

that's not slammed, it still has the standard headset cover, there's one at less than half the height

Guyeclipse

by Guyeclipse

I am a big fan of the "slammed stem look and on my old bike that's what I used sometimes. I am someone that you can do dramatic changes to the front of my bike and my body doesn't seem to mind because I am very flexible. But over the season I did quite a few trials on my position, and I came to the conclusion that my stem is fine slammed over a short distances and my sprinting benefitted as my head gets very close to the bars in a sprint, so I reserved that for crits. But I found in the lead up to
A 40km TT for my PE course that the slammed stem on my aerobars for 40km was just not working. So for the TT, I ended up only dropping the stem 10mm from stock and completed the TT 6 minutes faster than the quickest time to get the highest mark and afterwards I felt great with absolutely no aching back or sore shoulders.

Also in the lead up to last years track worlds and indeed this years Olympics, I noticed in the team pursuit that the teams who had spent time in the wind tunnels trying to perfect their positions found that how low they can get bearer little relevance to the actual claimed savings that people say there is from it. They established in actuality that the placing of the aero helmet on their backs made a much greater difference. Also notice Bradley Wiggins' front end set up for all the time trials he has done this year, and you will see that he is definately not as low as he could be, but I don't think that has slowed his performance this year by winning both the long course TT's at the Tour De France.

I

Frankie13

by Frankie13

GT56 wrote:

that's not slammed, it still has the standard headset cover, there's one at less than half the height

Still slammed.....it's about the spacers and not the original headset cover. :doh:

GT56

by GT56

Frankie13 wrote:
GT56 wrote:

Still slammed.....it's about the spacers and not the original headset cover. :doh:

Ah, I thought it is about having the stem as close to the upper edge of the headtube......

I just took delivery of a 5 mm Acros headset cover for my Canyon

The bearing adjustment mechanism under the stem is than replaced by a system a la Cannondale

BTW, a Canyon in the US ?

artray

by artray

It doesn't look slaaaaaaammmmmmed, It looks slammed.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

headwind816 wrote:Sagan rides a custom?

That's what all the "insiders" are saying. Aparently the rear and headtube are like a 54 sized frame but the top tube is the same as the 58 frame. More stretched out.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

BTW, a Canyon in the US ?[/quote]

It's my second one. I also had a white team edition. All of my family is in Germany, getting a Canyon to the US is no problem. I will be in Germany next month and think I will go and check out Canyon Headquarters and the showroom. Would be nice if they already would sell the 2013 model as a frame set and I could take it with me ride away back to the US.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Wasn't Canyon sponsoring/providing bikes to one of the teams Stateside that was affiliated with Competitive Cyclist? Too bad the partnership with Competitive Cyclist and Canyon never worked out. They probably would have been a hit here.

marcelflash

by marcelflash

This is my Specialized Allez OSBB. Because of the large headtube I had to slam my stem!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

89daytona

by 89daytona

My Slammed stem at the moment
@racecarbrian