So what's the verdict on the CX disc debate?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

For your next cyclocross bike, which brakes will you use

Disc's
63%
Canti's
26%
V's
12%

Total votes: 112

elviento

by elviento

Which would YOU pick?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

i'm never going back to rim brakes. i have typically commuted on the same bike i've raced for the past 6 years, and have suffered through canti's not working, mini-v's not being much better, upgrading to avid shorty ultimates which were better, but just as bad for commuting - in fact, getting hit TWICE last fall because i couldn't brake fast enough when innatentive drivers turned across my lane (after having to overtake on the road, and while i was running trail lights no less), i made the switch over to discs and i haven't regretted it.

i think another thing people forget is that not everyone racing cross comes from a road background, so the issue about not having parts isn't quite as big a deal as it is made out to be on here - alot of mountain bikers are probably already going to own or have access to useable disc wheels, ect., to get a bike running when they are first starting out and making their way through the categories, and if they get really into 'cross racing, they can always upgrade to a purpose built cross bike.

out here in the portland, USA area there are already tons of people on disc bikes (apparently ALOT of people get deals on ridley's around here, as there are typically 6 or 7 of those black and yellow disc bikes in every heat), and there is an ever increasing amount of people racing on cross bikes set up with flat bars (disc and not).

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

This thread reminds me of the mid 90s mtb scene. Same questions.

I really don't see any reason to not go with a disc setup though (assuming your bike is capable of it). They have much better stopping power, they are more functional in all conditions, and they are easier to adjust (oh and more durable too).
Canti and V brakes aren't even in the same league.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I have started looking at getting a cross frames and am only considering disc brakes. I don't see a reason why you would want anything less. Except limited budget maybe, as it does seem to be a little more expensive.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Well if they ride em in Portland I'm sold. If it's good enough for Fred Armisen then it's good enough for me.

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

kulivontot wrote:Well if they ride em in Portland I'm sold. If it's good enough for Fred Armisen then it's good enough for me.

as it should be :roll:

ms6073

by ms6073

elviento wrote:Which would YOU pick?
I already voted with my wallet back in late April when I order some carbon disc cross frames from Dengfu and 28 hole carbon tubulars built up with Novatec disc brake hubs from Farsports! Season starts in Texas this weekend but most likely wont face conditions that really demonstrate a true test until next weekend in Fort Collins.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

limba

by limba

The verdict is we're getting them whether we want them or not. In 2 years it will be impossible to get a high end racing bike with canti mounts on it. You'll have to go to some custom company if you want them.
If the new Super X had the new Red discs I'd probably order one. I'm not buying a BB7 bike. I can wait another year for better discs, wheels, forks, frames, etc.

euan

by euan

The Super Six has the BB7 SL brakes. They are still BB7s just with lighter hardware. It sounds like Red Hydraulic has run into production problems

limba

by limba

Yes, I know. They're way behind where they should be. Maybe Shimano will have a Dura-Ace/Ultegra disc for 2014. I'd buy that without hesitation.

ms6073

by ms6073

euan wrote:BB7 SL brakes. They are still BB7s just with lighter hardware.
The ones I have touched with my hands not only had Ti hardware, but also were polished and appeared to have had the sharp edges machined/sculpted to remove excess material.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ww4

by ww4

DISC is the way forward :thumbup:

Doyler

by Doyler

I haven't checked extensively but it seems like more of the American pros are using discs: Powers, Trebon, Johnson (I think) to name a few that I have noticed. Whereas the Europeans are still on rim brakes. Here in Ireland, it is pretty much rim brakes apart from a few people on Boardman bikes. The scene here is not very big though and we are all supposed to be saving our money or something. I'm looking at a X-Fire and I'll stick with rims.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If I was buying a CX bike it would be disc. In fact next year I want to build a disc road bike. I have a freind who has build for his dad a lugged touring frame (with belt drive) for disc brakes. Yes he build his own frames and it is he who want to built a road disc frame for me/the shop.

Discs are the way forward.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

Raced this weekend on my new rig complete with Disc Brakes.

Considering that I finished the build at 11pm the night before and had ZERO time to bed in the brakes I have to say that it preformed quite admirably. Modulation by the third lap was pretty good using stock BB7s mated to SRAM Red Black Shifters and XX 160mm Rotors.

obviously I'll need loads more time to get things dialed in, but I have to say that it was pretty nice.

I'll be sure to post some pics of the final build once I get the rest of my parts. It's a bit of a piecemeal bike right now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com