My next project! Hold on to your butts.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cyco

by Cyco

The axle design looks pretty good, but in practice you will need to taper out the splines on the smaller diameter end. I'd also look at dropping the step at the larger end, unless it is to be used as location device.

Don't forget those of us who ride 180's ;)

The sweet wings spider had a lack of crash proofness that was due to the thinness of it (same problem with topline, etc). Other than that and a poor bearing spec they were great. The bearing wasnt big enough (esp on the drive side) and could sieze/colapse on occasions with larger stronger riders (1200w+, when fit my VO2 max was at 685w). Make sure the splines will stand up to extreme loading (standing starts under a 115kg rider putting out 2234w- yes I ride wth this guy - 2002 World Sprint Champion).
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Man i remember reading letters in mountain bike magazine, eveyone thought it was hype. I tell ya they were way ahead of its time...

I bet shimano's pretty happy for jumping on the patent as soon as it expired...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

that was the first thought in my head when everyone talked about Shimano's "new" BB/cranks - wow, I see they ripped off the Sweet Cranks.

Innovative my ass. Pheh.

Cyco

by Cyco

The other crank at the time, or maybe a little before, was the Bullseye. I think it was their patents that Shimano had to wait to expire.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Just seen a set of these cranks on Ebay for a MTB,here's a link if anybodys interested-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661252869&category=56193
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

cadence90

by cadence90

CAADHEAD wrote:Just seen a set of these cranks on Ebay for a MTB,here's a link if anybodys interested-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661252869&category=56193

I did some Internet research on the SweetWings, lots of negative reviews regarding cracking and lack of general durability. Maybe a good idea not fabricated so well? And the company's gone....
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I 've also read some bad reviews,but I've also heard good reviews,its swings and roundabouts,the set I've got have been superb,I bought them secondhand,and after having initial problems with the main bolt coming loose,sorted with lockthread,they have been trouble free,I've not had to touch them for the last 12 months,although you need to be carefull in the rain,as they rust very easily as the plating is not so thick,I just keep them coated with GT85 in the winter months.As a matter of interest,the main bolt is an M10 hexbolt,does anybody know if I can get one of these in TI?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

cadence90

by cadence90

CAADHEAD wrote:....As a matter of interest,the main bolt is an M10 hexbolt,does anybody know if I can get one of these in TI?

I think SRP only goes to M6 in TI, but you might write them:
http://www.srp-usa.com/
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

cadence90

by cadence90

Superlite wrote:I finally have it designed, and ready to be made. What Flysports failed at I will succed. I am one month away from having a protype sub 450g titanium/aluminum crankset/BB combo. Stay tuned. 8)

Speaking of "tuned", it appears tune.de has a 360g + 120g = 480g setup coming out: [from PoshBikes]:
...I have just had what I believe is the ultimate compact road crank and BB! which has been produced for us by Tune in Germany, and is a special version of their new Sixpack road crank, and Sixpack 120gram oversize titanium / ceramic bearing BB...

The crank weighs approx. 360grams, and the BB weighs approx. 120grams! which is a massive saving over most top end cranks...

Go for it Superlite!

spytech

by spytech

Send one crank here http://www.efbe.de/e1servic.htm to be tested