Silent Mavic Ksyrium Elite alternative from Campagnolo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phlip

by phlip

I am about to order a new bike (Canyon Ultimate AL) that comes with Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. Because I find Mavic freehubs too noisy, I am looking for alternatives.

Because I quite like their look and because I read that, with the right amount of fat, their freehubs are almost silent, I am considering some Campagnolo factory wheelsets. My favourite online bike shop offers the Neutron Ultra and Eurus for about the same price: Neutron Ultra for 549 EUR, Eurus for 579 EUR. Shamals are 739 EUR. Zondas are 319 EUR.

Are the Neutron and Eurus good alternatives? Could there be a definitive answer about which one of them is the better one? Or is it worth to invest a bit more and go for the Shamals? Or should I buy the Zondas and put my money elsewhere?

Or would a pair of hand-built wheels with Campagnolo Record hubs, Sapim CX-Ray or Laser spokes, and H PLUS SON Archetype or Velocity Aerohead O/C beat them all for value, durability, and/or weight per price?

The alternative must be Campagnolo compatible.

sawyer

by sawyer

At those prices go for the Zondas. I have Zondas and Shamals and the latter are not really worth it. A bit lighter and more bling.

Zondas are near silent, but as you say it depends on the lube situation ... .
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

I think a homebrew mix of grease and oil would be the cheap and simple solution.

But what about a Fulcrum Racing 1 or 0?

phlip

by phlip

I was looking at the fulcrums. I've been to my LBS once to spin them, and if I remember correctly, they were quite loud as well.

Or do Fulcrum wheels have the same hubs as Campagnolo wheels and I could "adjust" their sound by the right amount of fat?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

+1 on Zondas. Quiet, smooth, bomb-proof.

sawyer

by sawyer

phlip wrote:I was looking at the fulcrums. I've been to my LBS once to spin them, and if I remember correctly, they were quite loud as well.

Or do Fulcrum wheels have the same hubs as Campagnolo wheels and I could "adjust" their sound by the right amount of fat?

Yes is the answer to your last question. However, the problem with Fulcrum wheels is the spokes.

DaveS

by DaveS

You have that backwards. Mavic hubs are nearly silent compared to Campy. I owned several sets of Ksyriums before buying Campy wheels and found the Campy hubs to be far noisier.

Take each on apart and you'll see why. The Mavic hubs have very weak springs and shallow teeth on the ratchet mechanism. Campy hubs have strong springs and deeper tooth engagement. I quieted down my Campy hubs, using lots of heavier grease.

fordred

by fordred

How about Shimano RS80? Should be similar level in both weight and price to the Elite. Shimanos have silent hubs.
Shamals and Fulcrums 0s are closer to the Ksyrium SL.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

+1 for Zondas, mine are much quieter than my brothers Cosmic Carbones.

sawyer

by sawyer

DaveS wrote:You have that backwards. Mavic hubs are nearly silent compared to Campy. I owned several sets of Ksyriums before buying Campy wheels and found the Campy hubs to be far noisier.

Take each on apart and you'll see why. The Mavic hubs have very weak springs and shallow teeth on the ratchet mechanism. Campy hubs have strong springs and deeper tooth engagement. I quieted down my Campy hubs, using lots of heavier grease.

I've owned multiple sets from both makes also ... while Campag are generally noisy, the new Zondas are very quiet (mine and a few others it seems) :wink:

borja

by borja

+1 for Eurus.
Very good, stiff, bomb proof. Very good bearings. Much better than ksyriums or any other Mavic.

Roel W

by Roel W

I would go for Neutron: very classic look, very comfortable, light, not to expensive, bomb proof, Record hubs.
Available from 250€ second hand for the non ultra version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com