Winter Baselayer

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

have used Craft in the past and still use it, but less often than Rapha Merino or Assos base layers. the Rapha Merino base layers are much less fitting than the Assos base layers in the same size (M). so depending on what i'm wearing on top, i'll use what's best. any Merino is soft and comfortable...but since it fits me looser, the Assos tends to keep me much warmer. right now, its the fall interactive base layer that i wear the most. i also have the winter one as well...and can fit something tighter underneath since its roomier.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Bondurant

by Bondurant

http://www.Torm.cc! Only SS available, though I believe they are planning on LS at some point (which should be now to be of any use really)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

The Rapha merino base layers are awesome.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Any good quality Merino base layer is the way to go. Just make sure if its not cycling-specific that it will be long enough in the back.

nickmcg1971

by nickmcg1971

a friend talked me into purchasing an Icebreaker LS baselayer ...hope it was a good purchase :D

cazone

by cazone

I have Craft Zero and Craft Zero Extreme baselayers and Rapha Merinos too.
The Merino is warm and comfy, the Craft Zero too.
The Zero Extreme is thinner and wicks very well. It almost cools.

Problem is, for me (I sweat a lot!), even the west wicking (Zero Extreme) is still not enough.
I get wet sooner or later and then get a cold...

Do you know any super wicking baselayers?

c*

HillRPete

by HillRPete

cazone, this is a long shot, but what are you wearing on top? Often allowing for controlled circulation helps to get rid of the moisture, so sometimes less is more.

racermech

by racermech

I have 2 craft ones for winter. Had them for years so I could not tell you what they are called. One is just a heavy base but very for fitting and I love the high neck. The other one I have is basically the same base but it has a wind front panel. I only use it a few times a year (not too cold here in (So Cal) but when I do use it I am damn happy I have it!!

dmp

by dmp

nickmcg1971 wrote:a friend talked me into purchasing an Icebreaker LS baselayer ...hope it was a good purchase :D

They are terrific- I used them this summer (their winter) on a high altitude trip in Bolivia.

idler

by idler

BaaBaa all the way - I have more expensive merino base layers (eg Icebreaker) and the BaaBaa is just better (and much less expensive).

nickmcg1971

by nickmcg1971

managed to purchase the icebreaker cheap so that was a major factor in the purchase....for what its worth i sent an email to Torm.. and they are not bringing a LS Baselayer out this year/ season

welkman

by welkman

Planet x merino ones are good, they do a really nice ultra thin one I am really like.

LionelB

by LionelB

craft extreme LS or cold days. Craft warm for really cold days.

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

cazone wrote:I have Craft Zero and Craft Zero Extreme baselayers and Rapha Merinos too.
The Merino is warm and comfy, the Craft Zero too.
The Zero Extreme is thinner and wicks very well. It almost cools.

Problem is, for me (I sweat a lot!), even the west wicking (Zero Extreme) is still not enough.
I get wet sooner or later and then get a cold...

Do you know any super wicking baselayers?

c*

From my experience it is the outer layer that determines whether you stay wet or not. The moisture has to either escape or keep building up. When I moved to a light/mid weight outer jacket with wind stopper material on the front (chest and stomach), front of the arms and shoulders but with with open knit back, sides and back of arms I've stayed dry no matter if I use a cheap poly base layer from Target or an expensive one by Craft. Or a combination of both depending on temperature.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Castelli are great for this