Winter Baselayer

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nickmcg1971

by nickmcg1971

Hi all...help required
i am looking for a good winter baselayer.
ideally nothing to bulky but at the same time as warm as possible. I have considered the Assos winter baselayer, but a little reluctant as i have not seen many reviews on this....
any suggestions?
thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

how cold u looking to ride? what is going over it?

i have a craft zero extreme long sleeve base layer and have worn it under a softshell jacket into the low mid 30s-40s, lower and i'll throw on a jersey ontop of base, then jacket

i just recently bought a rapha merino long sleeve base layer and it seems slightly less warm, BUT very comfy and probably will do me well from 40-50 under jackets or jerseys.
Last edited by nathanong87 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickmcg1971

by nickmcg1971

hi
mainly to extend my usage of the Assos intermediate jersey and the Assos element one jacket...
I normally pretty warm was hoping to wear them into the low 30's , with an element Zero gilet

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Endura Baa Baa Merino. Love it. Wicks well and keeps me well warm under a Assos Evo Intermediate jersey down to 5 degrees.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I use any number of skiing/moutianeering type under shirts, helly Hansen, ice breaker, odlo they all make nice options that are viable and dual purpose. I do tend to buy ones with longer bodies so my kidneys are always covered. Merino is nice and doesn't stink, but not essential.

The assos one looks v nice, not tried it in person
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

nickmcg1971

by nickmcg1971

anyone tried the assos winter baselayer?

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

No experience with Assos. I really like the Craft Zero baselayer. I can wear it under a thermal jacket (Gore Xenon or Sugoi RS) down to freezing. I also wear it under thermal LS jersey and add a vest for temps 5-10 Celsius.

nickmcg1971

by nickmcg1971

Bigger Gear
Do you know what is the difference between the craft Active extreme and the Craft pro extreme?

adidavas

by adidavas

go something with merino rapha, endura etc.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

The Active Extreme seems to be the same as last year's Zero Extreme. Compared to the Zero, these are lighter and thinner. I have one Zero Extreme as well, but I find that I choose the slightly heavier Zero for most of my winter riding where temps are 0-8 C. I just vary the outer layer between jacket or LS jersey/vest.

djm

by djm

Using the Craft Zero Extreme and an older precursor with a short zipper. Suits me pretty well, and they're warm even when they're wet.

Sometimes I'll use wool.

uraqt

by uraqt

adidavas wrote:go something with merino rapha, endura etc.

Used them all, have to go with merino!!

C

boysa

by boysa

+1K for merino.
Icebreaker if you have the $, or a nice alternative is Redram. They actually source their merino from Icebreaker then do their own construction.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

thprice

by thprice

+1 merino. I kept it $imple ... dhb Merino

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I can vouch for Craft too, they aren't super expensive and work well. Got several pieces from them. The complaint I have is that, depending on the fabric, some of the pieces are prone to pilling after a relatively short period of time.

Anyway, something Merino is high on my list for this winter.