Stoked! Exp001 - 5671g/12.47lb

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I like the attention to detail - great build and weight! Heatshrink cable finishing is one of my favorite tips that I picked up on WW. Never used Powercordz, but it seems like it's very slippery...which knots have you tried?

gravity

by gravity

Well thought build! I love it when some can look pass thru all the marketing and go with the understated manufacturer!

Just a few questions:

1: What brake pads are those? Looks like Reynolds Blue. How does it brake? How many pads have you tried with those wheels and what would be your recommended pads to use for chinese carbon? I have a 38mm carbon clincher from Hongfu and braking with Yellow Swisstops doesnt feel so nice.

2: Have you tried shifting with the stock Red chainrings? If yes, is there a huge difference in shifting between the praxis rings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I really like this bike too. I think the pink "Stoked!" logo and thin pink spacer really contrasts well against the stealth look. Think it would look even better if those two things were the only pink things on it, with black stealth everywhere else, especially the cables. And kudos on the tuning. Other than an overwhelming desire to reach into the computer and rewrap the tape on the right side of the bars to get rid of that hideous crease under the right hood, I'm completely at peace with this build. :beerchug:

It should be in a Rapha commercial, except I suppose they would insist it be steel.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

BTW - is that Saddle Peak?

barney96

by barney96

Really like what you done here, the bike and the style. Lovely work!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Good eye Film guy - that is Saddle Peak. Lovely view, eh?

Calnago, that crease is hideous but it doesn't bother me too much since I'm not staring at it and my hands don't touch that exact corner even when in the drops. It's a low priority and when I get back to dropping a bit more weight from the rear derailleur (and new cables, of course) I'll re-wrap the bars anyway.

Rapha wouldn't accept me, I'd stick out like a polar bear in the desert. No tattoos, no ironic facial hair, I'm "exotic" in heritage and I don't ride around with a dispassionate and distanced jaded gaze to my surroundings. :wink:

Gravity: Reynolds Blue and those are the only pads I've tried so far. I've been happy with them and they are consistently considered the best pads available for carbon rims so at the moment there's not impulse to try something else.
I never tried the stock chainrings off this crankset, those were the first things to be removed and sold off to a fellow WW. I've heard they shift really well, but they were too heavy for my liking and not the ideal aesthetic for this project.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

:) Yeah, you're probably right about Rapha not wanting you then... gotta have some kinda bohemian wannabe look if you want Rapha to want you for their commercials. But they'd still like your bike, in a distanced, pretend to be dispassionate kinda way.

And tape is like socks, you can pull them up next time you feel like it, or not.

@Gravity, the Reynolds Blue pads in my experience are WAY better than the yellow Swiss Stops, at least on the Reynolds carbon rims I used them on. Not even close. Chuck the swiss stops and try the Reynolds.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Hey pren, nice bike.

With the powercords, you could try taking a single ilink ferrule and tie a double knot around that, in a similar manner to how it was shown in that other thread. That would probably be secure enough. Or if you could find a similar sized ferrule of some sort with flanges on each end that would be ideal.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I know I give you s..t on here but I have to commend you on your well thought out build...well done on your bike!

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Very well done! I like the custom anodize work. At some point I want to pull my bike completely apart and have everything anodized to match.

artray

by artray

I posted the new KCNC cables . They are very light . I already use the teflon ones and they work great so I imagine these would as well without the Cordz issues. 7grms and 11grms . Not to far off the Cordz

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'd rather stick with the Powercordz since I have them on hand and they don't stretch like Ti would - still working on a solution. I think when I get a chance I'll modify the existing barrel nut that came with the brakes, looping the cable laterally through the nut (will need to create a hole all the way through), soften some edges to make the cordz wrap around friendly, and self-knot on the other side of the nut. This way the majority of the pulling pressure is on the nut, not the knot.

Daydreaming in the back of my head though, gotta get back to work.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

artray

by artray

I had an idea that using some kind of pinch bolt added to the cable might work . Mattias seemed to think it was a good idea and offered to make something. But with the weight of a extra bolt I may as well give the KCNC cables a go next time I change cables.
If your def sticking with the cordz and your idea does not work give Mattias a shout.

locktopus

by locktopus

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the frame? PM me if you wish. They have a lot of the normal Chinese open mold stuff, but has some nice graphic design too.

cnbky

by cnbky

nice detail with the spacer, i'd look at something similar once my yoga pays up!

no chain-stay protector?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com