Which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

racing snake

by racing snake

I have narrowed the choice of new push iron to either a Lemond Victoire (2004) or Giant TCR1 (2004)
Here in the UK they are the same price give or take a few pounds.
The weight of the Giant is a big selling point however the lifetime guarantee of the Lemond is also very persuasive. I have test rode both bikes and am in a dilemma :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

It's not a bad problem to have! They're both topnotch.

I have a TCR 0 and it's a great bike, never tried the TCR 1. Probably the same frame. My guess is the Lemond with the Ti/Carbon frame would be a sweeter ride. You might sacrifice ride for lightness .. but I love the ride of my TCR. They both have the same grouppo (I think). Comes down to fit, which one fits you better? Compact fits me real well so I prefer it. Good luck.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Include the cost of upgrades in the price, I am looking at the TCR 0 though I'm concerned about buying a frame released 18months ago when I can buy a Merida Gensi.

Look at the wheels/tyres and bars/stem when you compare price.

Happy Buying

Brian

spytech

by spytech

Bruiser wrote:I'm concerned about buying a frame released 18months ago when I can buy a Merida Gensi.

Brian

why would you be, its a great frame. stiff light, very responsive. if you like and fit into the compact geometry i would say go for it, plus they have great deals on it - so you can get the frame and fork for under 1000 bucks shipped if you look hard enough :wink:

message me, and i can help you out with getting the frame and fork - and you can build the bike to your spec :idea:

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I've heard it has flex around the headset.
I'm currently claiming warrenty on a Giant Peleton, 6 months after the calim I'm yet to hear the outcome. I'm less than impressed with their customer service. Broke the junction of the headtube and downtube. Purchased in late 1999.

Everyone (it seems) rides a TCR around here, but I've never seen a carbon Merida.

I'll PM you.

Brian

spytech

by spytech

what frame did you crack? what size frame do you ride? s, m, l?

Cyco

by Cyco

Which one fits best?

For me it would be the LeMond (and I like the way they handle) but for you it might be different.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

spytech

by spytech

which lemond? i have a thing, i just cant turn away from a Great deal :roll: if i ever went with a ti carbon frame i think i would go with a Merlin.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

It was a 99 51cm Peleton frame,
The road we race on are very bumpy/neglected thus why I am after a carbon frame.

I heard that tit suffers from flex or that only on the cheaper frames?

I'm buying DA10 as I think Ult will go 10sp in 2005 and buying 9sp parts will be difficult.

thanx for the comments

Brian

ras11

by ras11

I've been riding Lemonds for a long time now. I'm currently on a custom Tete De Course, which weighed in at 1265g. It's certainly not the lightest frame on the market, but its springy feeling of steel, yet the vibration dampening of carbon. I thought it was just a lot of hype, but if you rode the bike you'd understand that it's really true. If this bike is an option for you, I would say get this bike, even if you have to cash in your last pound or take a second job. This bike is really a freaky ride, in a good way!

Anyway, if your question is Ti vs. Carbon, I would opt for Ti. Carbon is great if you can afford it. In the long run carbon is more likely to tragically damaged in a crash, whether it's bars, frames, bottle holders, etc.. You might go through 2 carbon parts for every Ti part you buy.

If your a "TRUE" weight weenie, you'd opt for the lighter frame anyway, so that's sort of a stupid question. No offence.

Good luck, both frames are great. I bet you'll be fast no matter which frame you end up on.

Cheers mate!

How about Millar putting the big hurt on the peleton in stage 3 of Vuelta a Valencia. That guy is amazing!
:-) Toys-R-Us

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I know this is a WW board but some come here to draw on the knowledge of the WW's rather than become a WW.

I ride a 7sp RSX100 Shogun weighing around 10kg but I'm learning about the parts I want on my next bike.

Cheers

Brian