New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

roca rule wrote:Just got an email from brim brothers. They say they plan a release by mid 2013.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I like it. thanks for the post :thumbup: :D

tranzformer

by tranzformer

So I guess new motto is, "Continued vaporware continuing to troll interested cyclists on WW since 2008."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Well, they make it a point that if you need a pm for the 2013 season you should start looking elsewhere now, so I'd not call that trolling.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

jever98

by jever98

mrfish wrote:DC Rainmaker mentioned that Power2Max is now offering a temperature compensation circuit on new power meters, and retro fit plus firmware update to older models - so it should hopefully now pass the Jeff Jones test.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/power2max-announces-updates-to-power.html

It's true. The update (temp compensation and L-R balance estimation) have been rolled out.

(I'm a P2M user).
----
No longer in the industry

Dozer

by Dozer

If the ANT systems take data at only 1 or 2 Hz that is too slow, IMHO.

As a data logger, that would be ok if there was a data acquisition computer pulling in channels much faster (1000Hz should be a piece of cake) then integrating it and kicking to the ANT the average at the 1-2Hz.

A 90 rpm cadence gives a 1.5 Hz signal. Sampling that at 1-2 Hz won't work well.

Anyone know when the Garmin pedals will be available? Also, any rumors they will be for othe pedal platforms such as eggbeaters?

53x12

by 53x12

Ypsylon wrote:Well, they make it a point that if you need a pm for the 2013 season you should start looking elsewhere now, so I'd not call that trolling.

I think you missed the point of tranz's post as I read it as a joke and that those who are waiting keep getting "trolled" as deadlines for the BB Zone and the Garmin Vector keep having to wait. So in a sense, we keep getting trolled with the vaporware.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

Dozer wrote:Anyone know when the Garmin pedals will be available? Also, any rumors they will be for othe pedal platforms such as eggbeaters?

Last quote from an official from Garmin that I remember was back in August:

"We have been extensively testing working prototypes that we've been building," said Clifton Pemble, president, director and COO of Garmin International Inc,. "And at the time, we weren't happy with the consistency and the overall performance that we were seeing. So we are doing some design changes and starting to assemble new prototypes now, and we would expect that by the end of the year we should have a solid power meter."

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-am ... er-delayed
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I'll give Power2Max credit. They listened to the complaints about dealing with temperature drift and did something about it.

Then, adding more features to the unit, all for a pretty reasonable price considering the competition...hats off to them.

With that said, my Quarq Sram S975 unit works just fine for the $1000 I paid for it slightly used. I shipped it to Quarq, for free, the calibrated it for my QRings....just cost me shipping, turnaround 3 days.

djconnel

by djconnel

Zigmeister wrote:With that said, my Quarq Sram S975 unit works just fine for the $1000 I paid for it slightly used. I shipped it to Quarq, for free, the calibrated it for my QRings....just cost me shipping, turnaround 3 days.

"Calibrating for Q-rings" is just an estimate. Since they measure cadence only once per pedal stroke, they need to make an assumption about the correlation of chain speed with power through that pedal stroke, which is just an assumption which might apply differently on a flat road to a climb. It's a fundamental limiting of the Quarq/SRAM hardware.

It's easy to see the average of power = tension times chain speed is not the average of tension times the average of chain speed: 1. apply tension with the chain stationary, 2. spin the chain with zero tension. In each of these phases power is zero, yet the Quarq's approach of power = average tension times average chain speed would fail.

djconnel

by djconnel

roca rule wrote:Just got an email from brim brothers. They say they plan a release by mid 2013.

Release means little with small-scale operators with uncertain quality standards. Show me the data.

claus

by claus

[detailed analysis of pedal stroke]

I know that ANT+ allows to transmit L/R distribution of power, but what about this amount of detail (looks like 16 values per revolution)?
Would that "just" require a firmware update of existing ANT+ head units (to at least store the data)?

I'm about to buy a Joule, so I'm wondering whether this is "future proof", i.e., compatible with such extensions.

Geoff

by Geoff

Don't worry about 'calibrating' for Q-rings, what matters is repeatability. Your repeatability with different ring shapes should be the same as with round rings. Granted, not being able to perfectly compare year-over-year data recorded with conventional rings is a pain...

djconnel

by djconnel

Right: repeatability. If I pedal 250 watts downhill, then 250 watts uphill, 250 watts in the big ring, then 250 watts in the little ring, will I really be pedaling the same power in each case?

Call me a sceptic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

Geoff wrote:Don't worry about 'calibrating' for Q-rings, what matters is repeatability. Your repeatability with different ring shapes should be the same as with round rings. Granted, not being able to perfectly compare year-over-year data recorded with conventional rings is a pain...

If you have several bikes with PMs it starts mattering, imo.
----
No longer in the industry