Bb30 crank to bb86?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jediknights

by jediknights

Is there any way to put a bb30 crank system (I have cannondale) into a bb86 frame type system??

Thank you.
Theforcetraining.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

BB30 bearing OD is 42mm. BB86 shell ID is 41mm. So it won't fit.

JensW

by JensW

not possible at the moment

but know that Starnut on this forum are working on a 3 piece axle for hollowgram si (the alumnium one) and sisl that will make it possible, but i gues you loose some of the benefits of bb30 with it.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

well the OD of the BB30 bearing is 42, but you just need a bearing with a ID of 30 and OD that is less than 41.

Quick search on Boca Bearings yields this.

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv ... RU-30x37x4

$60 a pop though.

You will still have to use a longer-than-true-bb30 spindle like a Zipp Vuma quad

jediknights

by jediknights

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thank you guys. Hate getting some team bikes.
Theforcetraining.com

GoesLikeStink

by GoesLikeStink

Sorry to drag up an older post but is there a solution to this problem?

I might be getting a team Storck Fenom next year (BB 86.5), but want to try and transfer my SiSl to it as I have the Quarq spider.

Is there any way to get this to work?

Thanks for any help.

bricky21

by bricky21

No. Not really.

monty dog

by monty dog

BB86 shell is 86.5mm wide whereas BB30 is designed for 68mm width shell - the crank spindle is too short. The only 30mm spindle crank that would physically fit is a Rotor, but then you still need to sort the bearings.
Just ride

elviento

by elviento

In short, you are trying to squeeze a short and thick rod into a long and narrow opening. Not gonna work. :D
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

ms6073

by ms6073

monty dog wrote:BB86 shell is 86.5mm wide whereas BB30 is designed for 68mm width shell
Also, take a look at how your hollowgram crank mounts on the Cannondale frame and you will notice the chainrings are pretty snug against the bottom bracket sheel - i.e. no offset. That means that even with a longer spindle you are simply shifting the chainrings further out/away from the optimal chainline.

The only 30mm spindle crank that would physically fit is a Rotor, but then you still need to sort the bearings.
In addition to the Rotor 3D+, there is also FSA's BB386 offerings for which I thought I read that SRM will be offering an SRM K-Force 386. To make the Rotor 3D+/BB386 cranks work with a BB86 frameset, Rotor UK has the Press fit 4130 BB86 converter specifically for use with BB86.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

GoesLikeStink

by GoesLikeStink

Thanks very much for the replies guys.

First world problems eh? Upset because I can't transfer my power meter to my new team bike ha ha

aarw

by aarw

Sorry to pull this old one up again folks.

If I have a Rotor 3d+ chainset, the above suggests I can get it work ok on a new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (2014) with its press -fit 86,5. I'd that correct?

Thanks.

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote="aarw"]Sorry to pull this old one up again folks.

If I have a Rotor 3d+ chainset, the above suggests I can get it work ok on a new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (2014) with its press -fit 86,5. I'd that correct?

Thanks.[/quote]

Seems to me that with Rotor's 4130 you can use any BB30 crankset and have it installed on a BB86 frame? I wonder though if there is any consequences such as increased bearing resistance or decreased longevity? Anyone running this that can provide some insight?

Thanks in advance.

aspms

by aspms

Not any BB30 crankset, just those with enough spindle length (Rotor, Tune, Bor, FSA 386evo, BBright etc.)

No additional resistance there, also there is ceramic version 4130 as well :) Longevity is no different than most of BB30/PF30 bottom brackets, just make sure your don't over tighten your crankset (fine tune with preload ring).
quality carbon repairs and paintjobs @bikebay.lv
https://www.instagram.com/bikebay.lv/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com