2012 Cervélo R5 VWD LTD — "Argyle & Mangos"

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

irongatsby

by irongatsby

All those component manufacturers should pay you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davecheng

by davecheng

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I think I had as much fun photographing the bike as I did building it.

irongatsby wrote:All those component manufacturers should pay you.

Or at very least, some free stuff! lol

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Don't sell yourself short! They should give you both! Fantastic pictures. Have you ridden it yet?

alfredox5

by alfredox5

Beautiful!! :thumbup:

irongatsby

by irongatsby

justkeepedaling wrote:Have you ridden it yet?

davecheng wrote:I am still in awe over this frame's stiffness and vertical compliance. Words cannot describe just how awesome this bike feels!

:beerchug:

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Woah.

Just the right amount of bling. Love it.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

simply perfect.
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

em3

by em3

Nice build...nice pics. Would like to know more about your studio setup..most of all, how do you set the camera up so that the back side of your handlebar hooks line up (and are hidden) by the hooks in the foreground? Is this a photoshop effect or are you using a telephoto lens, with a direct focus on bars rathe then center of bike? If you could share focal length and distance from subject that would be great.
THanks, EM3

davecheng

by davecheng

em3 wrote:Nice build...nice pics. Would like to know more about your studio setup..most of all, how do you set the camera up so that the back side of your handlebar hooks line up (and are hidden) by the hooks in the foreground? Is this a photoshop effect or are you using a telephoto lens, with a direct focus on bars rathe then center of bike? If you could share focal length and distance from subject that would be great.

You got it. A telephoto compresses depth, and allows you to line up the rear (left) drop with the front (right) drop when shooting from the side.

The shorter the focal length you use, the more the wide-angle perspective create an apparent difference in size between foreground and background objects. A longer focal length telephoto avoids this.

I used a 70-200 sitting about 30 feet away from the bike. The bike itself was another 10 feet away from the back of the seamless. The effective 35mm focal length was around 110mm. Note that you can also cheat a bit by turning the handlebars ever so slightly.

Focus isn't critical. With the lights set to around f/11, there was enough depth of field for at least the width of the entire bike.

What you don't see in the photos is the primary light source—a Speedo 202VF head into a Chimera medium (36x48") softbox. It was strip masked to about 24x48". Two other heads firing into shoot-through umbrellas were used as kickers to bring out detail in the rim profile. I can't remember the lighting ratios.

For the detail shots, I used just the softbox, but this time with a grid, and placed much closer to the detail areas. White and black flags were used to control reflections and specular highlights.

EM3, I love your R5 man. I think all of the limited-run colours (like your green stripe) look so much better than the very pedestrian gray.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Really not much to add. Cervelo and Campa really do go well together.

:thumbup:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

em3

by em3

Thanks Dave for the detailed descrip of your photog set-up...I will have to stretch my limited equipment and skills to try and get pics as good as yours.

EM3

soxiam

by soxiam

Hi. Lovely set up. Can you share your saddle height measurement from the center of BB to saddle top?

yubbers

by yubbers

Jebus! That's a beauty.
l was debating whether or not to get the Mango Kings for my new Rabobank build. This has sold me :D