Possible new brake calipers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mxdclt

by mxdclt

I am picking up my new wheels next week (long story on those, but ended up with 2013 Mavic CCU's) and I have the opportunity to get a set of 2013 Ciamillo Gravitas brakes at a great price. I currently ride Campy Record brakes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Even though it is a good deal on the Gravitas brakes my question is to those who ride or have ridden them. Is there performance on par with my Campy brakes, I have done many long technical descents with the Campy's and have been very pleased with their power and modulation...so how are the Gravitas? While my WW side appreciates the weight savings of them, I am not going to spend the money just because they are lighter, but if they provide similar performance to my current brakes then I would consider the upgrade. Thanks for the help with this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Don't bother! Campagnolo brakes are among the best that money can buy. You would be hard-pressed to equal the modulation and stopping power of Record brakes.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

While I really like Ciamillo brakes, if your focus is not absolutely on weight savings, then those Record brakes you have, as Geoff said, are some of the best out there. Tour magazine ran a test on braking power and modulation this past year for the top big brand brakes (Campagnolo, Shimano, SRAM, TRP) and the entire Campy line beat the others hands down.

mxdclt

by mxdclt

Thanks for the info, appreciate the help in making my decision. Actually checked out the Tour mag article and read their reviews.

artray

by artray

I put a small kitten in my pocket and jam him in the wheel to stop. Works really well and the kitten seems to be ok .UCI Approved. I tried various animals and even a very small old lady but for some reason those kittens work really well and dont get to hot on the long descents. So go for a kitten and forget the gravitas or campy brakes :thumbup: :lol:

jdp211

by jdp211

If you're not set on gravitas, but still looking for an alternative, EE makes some of the best WW brakes around. Killer modulation and at a great weight too. I'm using with campy record right now with no issues. Set up is easier than the Ciamillo products as well.

mxdclt

by mxdclt

Yeah, I have heard that the EE brakes are good, but the only reason I was considering the Gravitas' were because I was getting them for $200.00, if that wasn't the case I wouldn't have considered the new brakes anyway.

And @artray, thanks for a very constructive and useful post, good job.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

artray wrote:I put a small kitten in my pocket and jam him in the wheel to stop. Works really well and the kitten seems to be ok .UCI Approved. I tried various animals and even a very small old lady but for some reason those kittens work really well and dont get to hot on the long descents. So go for a kitten and forget the gravitas or campy brakes :thumbup: :lol:

LOL!!! Really Loud!

Wish I wasn't allergic to those brakes.
Last edited by roadytracky on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

mxdclt wrote:Yeah, I have heard that the EE brakes are good, but the only reason I was considering the Gravitas' were because I was getting them for $200.00, if that wasn't the case I wouldn't have considered the new brakes anyway.

And @artray, thanks for a very constructive and useful post, good job.

At that price they are a bargin

They work pretty well you just have to get the cable housing length just right.
Once that's sorted they are pretty low drama brakes that are light and have good power

I switched to EE brakes a few months ago.. Pretty impressed with them.

deermatt

by deermatt

jdp211 wrote:If you're not set on gravitas, but still looking for an alternative, EE makes some of the best WW brakes around. Killer modulation and at a great weight too. I'm using with campy record right now with no issues. Set up is easier than the Ciamillo products as well.

these brakes are $680.00 dollars.. That is down right absurd. I doubt they're much better than zero G brakes which can be had on ebay for $200.00 , and even if they are better, they're not 4 times better (or worth 4x more). If you're super concerned with weight, get zero G , if not, get SR or red brakes .

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I suggest you read the Fairwheel Bikes brake shootout. It's a couple of years old now and needs an update but it is still pretty good for comparisons etc

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=7582

I'd like to see the new SRAM and Shimano DA brakes, plus Revel Hive carbon and the new Engage carbon brakes in there

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com