looking for lightweight rims 26"

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

What are some light reliable 26" rims (I could be the only one still riding them)? I would like something lighter than the Stan Alpine. I weigh 170lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I don't know if your going to be able to find any thing lighter than the Alpine without having a super flexy rim. The Alpine is quite soft as it is. Have you considered upgrading your spokes/hubs instead? You could shave weight without sacrificing rigidity or durability.

wingman

by wingman

stans podium mmx :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That rim is silly light. FRM do some light rims as do BOR. Maybe consider a tubular rim?

stuka666

by stuka666

Podium mmx is on the limit for your weight.

But it's possible.

NONAME
Shop Owner

by NONAME

for 170 lbs ztr Alpine, Ztr Crest will be better, MMX is not good for this weight.
You can also try Remerx Magic .

Velofreak

by Velofreak

I love my Alpine rims.

tompho

by tompho

If you don,t mind spend much money, AX Lightness SRT CC, weight limit 242 lb.

Kennyg

by Kennyg

I like the Stan's alpine I weight 190lbs and haven't had any problems. They seem to be hard to beat. Maybe you should try looking at tire selection to save a few grams.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

I have Podium's and race XC on them, Im 77KG, no problems.
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

Sandal

by Sandal

my podiums also have survived 4 years of racing (only) , so probably 4000km already, and are still fine. i'm 68-72kg. But they are not for everyday set up though, IMO.
weight concerned = good, weight obsessed = bad!

Rider10

by Rider10

I really like my Podium MMX wheels and with large volume tyres run tubeless they have stood up to an amazing amount of abuse. I can't feel any stiffness difference between my 1450g Crest wheelset and my 1250g MMX wheelset.

An alternative to the Podium MMX is the BOR XMD 333 which is supposedly 320g with eyelets. I have just ordered one of these to try out on a WW rear wheel build for a friend. It is 20.8mm wide inside so should work as well as the MMX with higher volume tyres.

If you're into really skinny tyres at high pressure, the MMX would not be a good choice.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

On the same subject, what's a good quality, lightweight rim, for use with rim brakes... going on a junior build for a sub-100 pound rider.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Rider10 wrote:I really like my Podium MMX wheels and with large volume tyres run tubeless they have stood up to an amazing amount of abuse. I can't feel any stiffness difference between my 1450g Crest wheelset and my 1250g MMX wheelset.

An alternative to the Podium MMX is the BOR XMD 333 which is supposedly 320g with eyelets. I have just ordered one of these to try out on a WW rear wheel build for a friend. It is 20.8mm wide inside so should work as well as the MMX with higher volume tyres.

If you're into really skinny tyres at high pressure, the MMX would not be a good choice.

I'm looking into the BOR rim. But what it seems like anything that is lower than 350grams, is unreliable. Why is the BOR rim stronger than the MMX Podium? I'm a cross country rider, I dont race...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Feex

by Feex

Hi guys,

Please don't flame me for hijacking the thread or possibly asking a question which others might have asked before but I'm looking at new wheels at the moment. I currently ride DT240s with CX-Ray spokes, XC717 rims, Conti lightweight tubes and Maxxis Flyweight tyres. A nice set up.

My wifes bike needs a new set of wheels so in true gentlemanly fashion I was going to pass her my current wheels and have a new set built up for myself. The idea of tubeless using Stans Alpine is something that I've been considering but if I go that route, are my tyre choices limited? Will the overall weight be higher than my current set? I appreciate that there are benefits in ride comfort with tubeless but I don't want increased weight.

Thanks in advance