10 pound WILIER zero.7 build campy sr or 2013 sram red?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

paulandmonster

by paulandmonster

funny how it used to be campy or shimano times have changed. me im campy for life

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

verycreativeusername wrote:I thought Wilier called it the zero.7 because the frame was below 0.7kg? Finally a manufacturer that's truthful about the weight

no, if it was below 700g it would be called a zero 6! so at 796g mine is 0.79 kg
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Maybe it's 'cause I'm old, maybe it's 'cause I grew up on steel with sew-ups, or maybe it's becasue my first LBS was owned by an Italian guy who looked just like Eddy Merckx, but I'd go Campy in a heartbeat. No hestitation.

Especially on a frame who's company name translates roughly into "Long live Italy, liberated and redeemed"

kac

by kac

michel2 wrote:U'lll be happy ! if not, u can always pack it up and send it to me !(-;
i would love to buy a new 11 speed groupset i still have a 10 speed record group but i cant split from it the group is still working flawless !!

Just exactly what I am thinking!!!

KAC

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

paulandmonster wrote:funny how it used to be campy or shimano times have changed. me im campy for life

ditto
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

kgt

by kgt

mellowJohnny wrote:Maybe it's 'cause I'm old, maybe it's 'cause I grew up on steel with sew-ups, or maybe it's becasue my first LBS was owned by an Italian guy who looked just like Eddy Merckx, but I'd go Campy in a heartbeat. No hestitation.

Especially on a frame who's company name translates roughly into "Long live Italy, liberated and redeemed"

+100

Guyeclipse

by Guyeclipse

Italian bike, Italian groupset. I have seen Wilier Zero 7's with SR on them and they just look so natural and fantastic. There is also a slight artisan quality in Campagnolo's top end offering that cannot be surpassed.

And the question of electronic or mechanical? I don't think you can go wrong with either, but my preference would be the mechanical. But in saying that the EPS looks so good that it might even coax me to believe in the merits of electronic gearing. If you live anywhere near Australia, there is a fantastic magazine called Ride cycling review (issue #57) that recently has done a review on a Wilier Zero 7 wih SR EPS which is worth a look if you can get your hands on a copy. This bike weighed in at 6657g but that was with a set of fairly hefty Fulcrum Red Wind XLR's that hit the scales at 1640g so a set of nice light wheels and you could have a bike shooting around the six kg mark.

In this, I haven't mentioned SRAM Red. I am also a big sucker for Red and with the recent changes I have fallen in love with it even more. I think if you chose this, you could not possibly go wrong as it is exceptionally light, fantastic aesthetically and really smooth. However, I think for a Wilier, you need to go for Campagnolo.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I think more than the frame your riding style should dictate your groupset. If you like to shift from the drops, especially while sprinting I think campy is out unless you have giant hands. If you ride on the hoods the whole time, get campy it is much prettier than SRAM. I have sram on both bikes by the way.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guyeclipse

by Guyeclipse

NiFTY wrote:I think more than the frame your riding style should dictate your groupset. If you like to shift from the drops, especially while sprinting I think campy is out unless you have giant hands. If you ride on the hoods the whole time, get campy it is much prettier than SRAM. I have sram on both bikes by the way.

I agree as I am a bit of a sprinter and currently ride Shimano, I would love the convenience of being able to be anywhere in the drops and still be able to flick it to a smaller cog. And also the short throw is ideal as you have to sometimes have to stretch you wrist at extroadinairy angles with Shimano whereas with SRAM there is the convenience of its 1:1 cable pull ratio.