Remember when you first got into road cycling.....

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

If you were a teenager or older, remember how some of the bike equipment just sounded ridiculously expensive and how you didn't think someone would actually spend $1000 on just a set of wheels or $100 per tire. Remember that? Funny how things change. Not that it is bad to enjoy our sport, but funny how when you enjoy cycling prices "readjust" to what you think is a good price. At least it is better to spend money on cycling equipment than hookers and blow like I might have been otherwise tempted to do. :mrgreen:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yeah, for most of us that was in the past.
But for most people in the world that's still a reality.

And even for many people in 'modern' or '1st world' countries with a higher-than-avg GDP, the costs are incredulous.
Too often I'm asked by a friend to help them find a good, entry road bike so they can start riding along with me (or ride with their family) (or ride to work) (and so on) - but the budget they're looking at always hovers between $500-$800 TOTAL (helmet and tools included). I don't mention to them that there are wheels which cost $5kUSD per pair, nor brakes that per pair cost more than their total budget - but if it eventually comes through in conversation, its usually met with complete shock.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

53x12

by 53x12

Yeah friends or family members are in shock when they ask me about my bikes. But usually I do well to get things with the team discount, on sale, 2nd hand...etc. But I think the general public or those getting into cycling for the first time are used to prices from a KMart of Walmart. $100-200 bucks for a bike.

I guess it is just interesting because when I was much younger and got into cycling I never thought I would ride much more than entry level gear the rest of my life. Priorities change. Thresholds for quality of equipment change. Definition of a good price changes.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sanddancer

by sanddancer

When I started I used to show non-cyclists sites selling Rapha and Assos and we used to be incredulous that someone could spend that sort of money on a pair of shorts. It seemed no less ridiculous than someone asking $15 for a can of Coke. Now they make up 90% of my non-team kit and I've probably got twice the amount invested in those brands alone as I paid for my last car!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

53x12 wrote:Yeah friends or family members are in shock when they ask me about my bikes. But usually I do well to get things with the team discount, on sale, 2nd hand...etc. But I think the general public or those getting into cycling for the first time are used to prices from a KMart of Walmart. $100-200 bucks for a bike.

I guess it is just interesting because when I was much younger and got into cycling I never thought I would ride much more than entry level gear the rest of my life. Priorities change. Thresholds for quality of equipment change. Definition of a good price changes.

Maybe your wallet size changed. Other than that what else?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

equipment changes as well. my first bike was some 3kg alu no name frame with a steel fork and shimano 100rx group. wheels were ok, but the tires, saddle, classic headset... anyway, i loved it at the time. when i purchased a Trek alu frame with CF fork and build a bike around it, this 'first bike' of mine felt like the worst ride on earth. funny thing is, the money i paid for it (12 years ago) would be sufficient today to build a really decent bike
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

53x12

by 53x12

stella-azzurra wrote:Maybe your wallet size changed. Other than that what else?

Nope wallet size hasn't changed at all. My definition of value/worth/need/lust has changed. That is for sure.

ticou

by ticou

531c, then pro frames were the gold standard, 753 was a distant dream, as was Campag, used 105 with MA40's, then Open pro's came along. Alu cracked even with light riders, loved watching that red mavic logo spin round on me front wheel.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

^ some of us are younger than you more experienced fellas. ;)

KB

by KB

Started on something not even 531 in 1967. Sprayed it myself. My third bike was a Mercian 531, which I raced on. Bikes have always been expensive because when I was young I was always skint.

Best was when I bought some 'light' wheels: Super Champion Rims, Campag Records Hubs, stainless spokes. But we used Barum tubs because they were about the cheapest and the most we could afford. Some of the expensive Clement tubs were more that two weeks wages.

Just wish I had the fitness from them days to go with the bikes I have now.

Ticou's comment about 753 is spot on. It was very exotic when it first came out.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

53x12 wrote:Yeah friends or family members are in shock when they ask me about my bikes.

That's why I never tell the whole truth, just something along the lines of "I got the frame for this-and-that-cheap on ebay¹ and put on a few parts."

¹which is usually fairly accurate

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

53x12 wrote:

Nope wallet size hasn't changed at all. My definition of value/worth/need/lust has changed. That is for sure.

So you had the money to buy expensive bikes when you were younger as you do now? :noidea:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

artray

by artray

I used to be a cycle courier . My Dad got Terminal cancer and I looked after him for 2 years so I had to stop riding . Then about a year or 2 after I spotted this beautiful red Cannondale caad 5 team saeco .For some reason I had to buy that bike and start riding again ,it was awesome . I only rode mountain bikes as a courier and I remember I did not even know how to use the shifters on the caad . I have not stopped riding since . I wish I kept that bike . ahhhhhhhhh :beerchug:

53x12

by 53x12

stella-azzurra wrote:
53x12 wrote:

So you had the money to buy expensive bikes when you were younger as you do now? :noidea:

I guess if you feel this curious. First I don't use a wallet but rather a money clip. Same one now for many years. Hasn't changed in size.

In regards to salary, sure that has increased. However my discretionary fund/bike fund has remained fairly consistent. When I was younger I lived at home or was in the dorm at college. Didn't really have any major expenses. Rent was covered. Meals were covered. Now as an adult have mortgage, car paymens, health insurance, life insurance, children's college fund, retirement, investments...etc. So my bike fund is basically the same. Any other questions? :)

gravity

by gravity

I thought this thread was about the silly things you did when you first got into road cycling..

Well, the silly things i did was that i rode 100KM wearing my football shorts. it was so painful in the shower after the ride. i bought a bib the next day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com