Wooden RENOVO R1 road bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I finally decided on what fork to get for the bike: a Whisky Parts Co. No.7 fork.

The No.7 has very minimal graphics and I think the shape will match the shape of the seat stays very nicely. Aside from the fork I also got a couple of other new components for the bike which I think will make a huge difference in the way the bike looks (new stem, handlebars, seatpost clamp, saddle). As soon as the parts are on the bike I will post pictures of it.
Attachments
Vork1.jpg
Vork2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Since the Marmotte GranFondo I have hardly been on the bike, which gave me some time to gradually change some parts on the bike.

Before the Marmotte I already changed the saddle. The Fizik Arione was giving my saddle sores, so I took a chance and got myself a Gilles Berthoud instead. The GB has been great from day one and I can recommend it to anyone. I can even ride it without my cycling shorts. After the Marmotte I switched the stem for a Genetic AQ to achieve a relaxed position. I also switched the U.S.E. seatpost shim for a cheap aluminium one, because with the U.S.E. shim the seatpost kept slipping. The most important cosmetic change has been the Whisky fork. The Easton fork had always been bugging me and with the Whisky I think I've finally found a fork that looks good with the frame. Other minor changes are the polished Salsa seatpost clamp, a Ritchey Classic handelbar and I also removed the decals from the H Plus Son rims.

So.., well,.....eeeh, I guess the bike is finished. Finally! :mrgreen:

Roeboe

by Roeboe

Really nice, but still, the fork is not perfect IMO. I think a chrome fork would suit it better?!

http://www.bikeshopliquidators.com/p-87 ... -fork.aspx?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Very nice, the fork fits nicely indeed. Agreed a chrome fork might look interesting too, but the black one gives it an utilitarian character. Top notch.

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

This bike is so friggin cool.

Nicely done
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

Roeboe

by Roeboe

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... overs.html

Nice bar tape to match the saddle and saddlebag? :thumbup:

paulandmonster

by paulandmonster

i would go with gold if i had the money i would anodize parts gold and just clearcoat frame

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@ Roeboe: I actually did consider the Elkhide bar cover/tape, as I think it looks great. Unfortunately it looks like the kind of stuff that you can throw away after you get it dirty from oil and road grime.

@paulandmonster: removing the decals and giving the frame just a clear coat is definitely on my future wish list. Concerning the gold anodizing, people who have seen the bike in real life already say my bike is a bit bling-bling, so gold would probably be a bit too much. Renovo did do a bike with black and gold ano parts a while back and it looked really cool though.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

What length nipples did you use on your H Plus Son Archtype rims? I haven't read your full thread so I'm sorry if I missed it, but can you give a ride report on these rims?

Thanks
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I had the rims built by an expert, so can't give you any information on the nipple length. The rims I can give you feedback on.

The extra wide rim makes for a way smoother ride and more grip. It should also provide lower rolling resistance, but I haven't noticed this. The rims are plenty stiff and the finish is top notch.

KH1

by KH1

OMFG! That is so horn!
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I wouldn't blame you if you opted for 7900 pedals. The old SPD-R led to many-a-crash on group rides. Things can be awful to clip out of.

Stunning ride though.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I read quite a bit of nasty reviews on the DA SPD-R pedals, but I have actually become quite fond of them. It is true that they don't clip out easily, but that also results into a very solid feel.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I just want to see this bike in person... hopefully we'll cross paths while I am in the Netherlands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com