Enve 1.25's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

civdic

by civdic

I have a set of Enve 45 clinchers that I love and I also have a set of wrecked DA C35 tubs. I'm looking at replacing the C35's with a set of Enve 1.25 tubs with Alchemy hubs. Any feedback on these rims? I would be looking at going 28/28 cause I weigh in the 90-95 kg range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

they used to be sub 200g and flexy. I think they are now around 250g and have a better reputation.

ergott

by ergott

25mm front and 45mm rear?

Smart 3.4?

civdic

by civdic

Wasn't looking to do a 35mm/45mm mix. I was more interested in the 1.25's weight and wondering about durability at my weight.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The 25 is a solid rim, but I really do view that to be very climbing oriented. If your going to be using it for cruising the flats at all, I think that Erics suggestion of the 3.4 is a much more practical one. The 25 is built to log vertical, and if thats what you do predominantly, then it could be a good choice.
With regards to the spoke count, I think that the 28 up front is somewhat overkill. The fact that tension will be even from drive to non drive side up front will make it much stiffer than the rear, and going with a 24 or even 20 hole count would be just fine for you.
Good call on the 28 rear though.

by 2011

Honestly... It would probably be more wise, at your weight, to go with a more solid rim, than try to save 45g on your wheels. I'd suggest going with the stronger/heavier rims, and just drop that 45 grams off your gut.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

2011 wrote:Honestly... It would probably be more wise, at your weight, to go with a more solid rim, than try to save 45g on your wheels. I'd suggest going with the stronger/heavier rims, and just drop that 45 grams off your gut.

I'm not too sure about this. I think you would be hard pressed to find a tubular rim out there that in that depth that is stronger and more durable than the 25. It is ridiculously stiff, even though it only comes in at 250g.
Last edited by Zen Cyclery on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

2011: Can you tell me the moment of inertia on that 45 grams in the gut? Also, what's that force at 50mph?

djconnel

by djconnel

I have used 1.24's and a 1.25 and highly recommend the latter. Nicer profile, more robust -- save 50 grams elsewhere. My 1.24's both warped on me with very light use. The 1.25 looks like it is meant to be ridden.

refthimos

by refthimos

Zen Cyclery wrote:I think you would be hard pressed to find a tubular rim out there that in that depth that is stronger and more durable than the 25. It is ridiculously stiff, even though it only comes in at 250g.

Agree. The 1.25 is an amazing rim, I had a set and loved them (sold only because rear was built on PowerTap hub and I switched to SRM for power needs). Put these with Alchemy hubs and you have the ultimate climbing wheels. having said that, I didn't get another set of 1.25s as my 3.4s are "good enough" as climbing wheels and more versatile on the flats and rollers.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

refthimos wrote:
Zen Cyclery wrote:I think you would be hard pressed to find a tubular rim out there that in that depth that is stronger and more durable than the 25. It is ridiculously stiff, even though it only comes in at 250g.

Put these with Alchemy hubs and you have the ultimate climbing wheels. having said that, I didn't get another set of 1.25s as my 3.4s are "good enough" as climbing wheels and more versatile on the flats and rollers.

Agreed. The 3.4s are stellar for an everyday driver type of wheelset, where as the 25s are a climbers dream.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

What's better on Enve 1.25's than other 20mm (chinese) carbon rims in the 250g territory to justify the substantial price difference?

Asking because also interested in building an ~1000g wheelset.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

mrlobber wrote:What's better on Enve 1.25's than other 20mm (chinese) carbon rims in the 250g territory to justify the substantial price difference?

Asking because also interested in building an ~1000g wheelset.

Enve has molded spoke holes. Everyone else drills theirs. Enve also has a 5 year warranty, most others only have a 1 year. Another perk is that they are made in the US, and they are extremely durable. I have read plenty of horror stories about Chinese carbon.

LionelB

by LionelB

Not sure where you are located but if in europe, Corima winium at 270g is a much cheaper option and is an excellent low profile rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

civdic

by civdic

Would I be able to get away with a 24 spoke count on the rear??