Stem to suit 1 1/2" Canyon steerer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drmutley

by drmutley

Hi guys,
I'm building up a Canyon for a friend and didn't realize till I went to swap stems, that it has a 1 1/2" steerer diameter. I can't seem to find any 110mm stems with a 1 1/2" steerer clamp... Anyone point me in the right direction...
Thanks for any help
Cheers
Harry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caballero

by caballero

Ritchey wcs 4axis
Syntace f139 ? 119 ???
Specialized and giant make one.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Stem clamp at the steerer on the Ultimates is 1.25" not 1.5"
The fork tapers to 1.5" at the fork crown.
Caballero has the list for you, I would also add in custom stems as an option.
The Syntace model that suits is the F119.

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

I run a Syntace F119 on my Canyon with Ti bolts. Decals scrubbed down with acetone. The perfect stem

1415chris

by 1415chris

Ritchey wcs 4axis is the lightest on this list.
Tiny difference compared to Syntace, should be a few grams lighter.
Unfortunately 1.25 is still unwelcome standard among the stems :(

x94bird

by x94bird

I use Giant OD2 stem for my 1 1/4 fork :welcome: Image

drmutley

by drmutley

Thanks guys for pointing out my oversight... Finding 1 1/4" stems have proven tough! But I've found a F119 locally... Sheesh canyon! If u want to use odd size stems at least send something longer than 90mm!!

GT56

by GT56

drmutley wrote:Thanks guys for pointing out my oversight... Finding 1 1/4" stems have proven tough! But I've found a F119 locally... Sheesh canyon! If u want to use odd size stems at least send something longer than 90mm!!

you can specify 'any' lenght when ordering

if you don't they send whatever lenght is in the spec list

the syntace (being German) goes better with the Canyon anyway :wink:

drmutley

by drmutley

GT56 wrote:
drmutley wrote:Thanks guys for pointing out my oversight... Finding 1 1/4" stems have proven tough! But I've found a F119 locally... Sheesh canyon! If u want to use odd size stems at least send something longer than 90mm!!

my friend when ordering didn't do me an favours then! He coulda saved me the trouble of finding the correct stem! :-)

mattyb95

by mattyb95

drmutley wrote:
GT56 wrote:

my friend when ordering didn't do me an favours then! He coulda saved me the trouble of finding the correct stem! :-)

Canyon also do a stem exchange too for a small fee I think within the first 30 days after receipt of the frame/bike

Biff

by Biff

mattyb95 wrote:Canyon also do a stem exchange too for a small fee I think within the first 30 days after receipt of the frame/bike

Years ago i ordered a Ultimate AL frame which had a 100mm stem.I got them to swap it for a 110mm but it cost me the equivalent of a new stem...That is i paid full price for the 110mm but i did´nt get the 100mm that should have been in the "Frame package".Kind of lousy service if you ask me.I liked the frame very much though

I believe you can contact Canyon to get a Ritchey stem.I have´nt seen them anywhere else except ebay

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Biff wrote:
mattyb95 wrote:Canyon also do a stem exchange too for a small fee I think within the first 30 days after receipt of the frame/bike

Years ago i ordered a Ultimate AL frame which had a 100mm stem.I got them to swap it for a 110mm but it cost me the equivalent of a new stem...That is i paid full price for the 110mm but i did´nt get the 100mm that should have been in the "Frame package".Kind of lousy service if you ask me.I liked the frame very much though

I believe you can contact Canyon to get a Ritchey stem.I have´nt seen them anywhere else except ebay

I thought it was something like 20 Euros now

Frankie13

by Frankie13

When I got my Canyon Ultimate CF at the begin of this year, I told Canyon to change the 100mm stem that came with the bike for an 120mm and payed an extra 20 Euro. It is a Ritchey stem by the way. I hope the new Cf frames for 2013 are for sale soon.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Not thinking, I swapped out a longer Syntace number for the Ritchey, but the stack height is like 2mm less. Finding 2mm 1 1/4" spacer is beyond a PITA.

With the Acros headset is it ok to leave the 2mm?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

You will end up with 2mm steering tube sticking above the stem.
Apart aesthetics, it's OK.
If you are worrying about the acros's top plug, I don't use it at all.
In the case you are happy with this "new" front set up, consider cutting down the steering tube.