What to upgrade this winter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

russianbear

by russianbear

I'm thinking of what will be the wiser upgrade choice. Currently ride a Scott cr1 with ultegra 6600 drive train (with 7700 RD). Used for training, racing. I am 180 lb rolleur who can get over the punchy hills. Racing in the midwest around St. Louis area, we don't really have any long climbs.

A buddy of mine said he would sell me his 2011 Sram red shifters/dérailleurs for around $400. I would probably pick up some planet x ultralight brakes as well.

The other most logical thing to upgrade would be the wheels because I just have a 1750 gram training wheel set right now.

I am leaning towards a used racing tubular wheel set for $500 or less. Unless someone can make a convincing case of why drivetrain upgrade would be a better idea. And as far as wheels go, I was kicking around the idea of some alu tubulars (neuvation has some for $350 at 1350 grams) so I don't have to bother with brake pads and just to get into tubulars. Carbon wheels are also of interest, but I'm not sure what depth would be best. I'm too heavy for most of the super light 20-24mm rims. Should I go with 38s or just stick to 50-55 like everyone else? Or go EVEN DEEPER? Brands of interest are neuvation, williams, boyd, or maybe some used big name wheels if I happen to catch something in the sales section.

What say you ww?
Last edited by russianbear on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

In your price range, I think your on a good track with alloy tubys. I think that carbon in that price range is simply too inconsistent to be trusted. The Neuvation wheels could be a good option, especially considering the price. You could always spend a bit more and shave even more weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Thanks for input.

I've searched the forum for hand built alu tubs and it seems it's pretty hard to get under 1300 grams without super fancy hubs. Is that the consensus?

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

A drivetrain upgrade will make little or no difference for racing. Okay, it'll be a bit lighter, but you'll get more of an advantage from deep section carbon tubular wheels. They may not be very 'nice' but you could probably afford Planet X wheels or something similar.

By the way, I've got a couple of sets of cheap, Chinese carbon rims, and although they're not the most beautifully finished things, they're performing perfectly well. Problem with them is that the quality will always be a bit of a lottery. If you're on a tight budget, it might not be sensible to take the gamble.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

russianbear wrote:Thanks for input.

I've searched the forum for hand built alu tubs and it seems it's pretty hard to get under 1300 grams without super fancy hubs. Is that the consensus?

It would definitely be tough to get under 1300 grams, but you could get close. You could lace Velocity Escape tubies to Whites Industries T11 hubs via Cxrays and come in right around 1335 grams.