HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:19 am 
Administrator

Well, I'm in. 99 or less left. :wink: I'm pretty excited about this since I have been searching for something to replace my aging VumaQuads and this will just fine for me. I do understand that more than pictures will be in sometimes hands soon.

No not like this:

This is the original Zero Gravity crank in my hands at the 2006 Tour de Georgia.

Something stolen from the email launch of cranks and brake offer that I received:

Gravitas Crank Official Launch

Pre-order special For the first 100…
Gravitas Crank - $700 (normal retail - $1100)
Gravitas Brake and Crank Combo - $1175.00 (normal retail - $2075)
If you are interested in being one of the first Gravitas Crank owners and the option to purchase at a deep discount directly from me, please reply to this email with your shipping address and telephone number and Kristi will send over a Paypal invoice coming from kbella13@gmail.com for a 50% deposit ($350.00 for the Crank or $587.00 for the Gravitas Brake and Crank Combo)

Dear Ciamillo Customer,

Today we launch the Gravitas Crank and a special offer for the first 100.

For ten years we have been exclusively about stopping your bike. In 2008, I attempted an aluminum crank and worked on nine prototypes over the span of a year. The project goals were never met with aluminum: build a crank with large enough performance gap or weight savings gap to justify the price of a CNC machined aluminum crank. The prototypes could only be made as strong for the same weight as Dura Ace so there was not an improvement to justify the cost.

SL ROAD CALIPERS

With the recent success of the Gravitas carbon fiber brake project, I was encouraged by the strength to weight performance of properly designed carbon fiber parts. The Gravitas Road Calipers are simply the best calipers in the world right now. From design, to weight, to stopping power.. this notion has been shared by owners of the Gravitas Brakes all over the world. The last two years of supplying over 2000 calipers worldwide has been extremely rewarding and confidence building. We have improved the process of creating super-strong parts from high modulus carbon in a precise resin-content-control compression molding method. This first enabled us to produce the Gravitas SL and now, introducing the Gravitas Crank..

GRAVITAS BB30 CRANK $1100.00 Retail

This is a BB30 crank with 3 degree arms and extra spindle length for use on non-BB30 with adapters. It has a two part molded in spindle with oversize spline. Although the design is currently robust at 448 grams, we are still testing and pushing the envelope for the next six weeks so we may end up a little lighter still. The core is hollow and was created through the use of a pre-fabbed scaled down carbon core inserted in the final mold. Q is at 149 but is a customizable feature for BB30 frames where the spindle may be shortened upon request on the non-drive side. One of the best features is the customizable length options.. we can do non-standard lengths easily. Another interesting feature is the easily interchangeable spider; currently shown in compact, the spider easily pops off the oversize spline and can be swapped for 130.

· Mass – 448 g (+/- 20 grams at test completion)
· Interchangeable spider from compact to standard
· BB30 with extra long spindle for use with adapters on non-BB30 frames
· Q-factor – 149mm (customizable)
· Fully customizable lengths
· High modulus compression molded hollow carbon fiber arms.
· Extra wide aero arm geometry
· Customizable spindle color

Special Offer for the first 100:

Shipping of the Gravitas Crank will begin in six weeks. We are now taking pre-orders and offering a special price for the first 100 customers. The retail price is $1100 but the first 100 will receive the direct pre-order price of $700.00 of which 50% will be paid to reserve and the balance paid upon shipment (approximately six weeks depending on where you are in line). The first 100 will also be eligible to receive a Gravitas SL Brake and Crank (Stop and Go Combo) with a value at $2075.00 for $1175.00.

If you are interested in being one of the first Gravitas Crank owners and the option to purchase at a deep discount directly from me, please reply to this email with your shipping address and telephone number and Kristi will send over a Paypal invoice coming from kbella13@gmail.com for a 50% deposit ($350.00 for the Crank or $587.00 for the combo). Please specify arm length and spider (compact or standard) and color of spindle.

Thanks,

Ted Ciamillo

Red may be contacted at zerog@windstream.net or 770-364-7933

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:00 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Juanmoretime wrote that Ted Ciamillo wrote:
In 2008, I attempted an aluminum crank and worked on nine prototypes over the span of a year. The project goals were never met with aluminum: build a crank with large enough performance gap or weight savings gap to justify the price of a CNC machined aluminum crank. The prototypes could only be made as strong for the same weight as Dura Ace so there was not an improvement to justify the cost.

Well, it looks like Ted didn't quite get the year right, as evidenced by Zero G Boxer Squad .

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:00 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

I still giggle at folks that are irked about the fact that the last crank project didn't get sold to the public.

The cranks were produced, well tested and performed very well but were waaaay more expensive than the top line crank at that weight and he just decided that if he wasn't bringing an advantage, he would rather not sell em.

He spent a LOT of time and money on them and could have sold several on the looks alone and made $ but decided the product wasn't good enough.

I'm not saying that everything else with Zero G and Ted has been perfect (and he's pretty quick to admit it as well), but I think the biggest mistake Ted made with the first crank project was communicating so openly with the WW community while trying to develope a product...

WW went from being happy to talk about next gen or special project and product development to a place where a manufacturer can expect to gain very little usable feedback while risking a tidal wave of poo in the case they share any work in progress...

Last edited by CharlesM on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:11 pm 

Wow, that thing is beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:27 pm 

Oh man, now I will have to invest in a BB30 frame... :doh:

Those look stellar. Did I understand the weight posted is for the BB, cranks and spider? Nice, but I don't see the BB on there.
The inserts for the pedals are quite elegant too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:34 pm 

This makes me even more butthurt about the Cento1 not being BB30 compatible :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:14 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

Can be adapted for non BB30...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:18 pm 

Since spindle length is customizable it can, in theory and practice, be adapted to any currently existing standard: 68mm, BB30, BB386, BBWrong... i mean, BBRight, Shimano Press-Fit, SRAM Press-Fit. Except for ZED Crank standard. Which isn't a standard at this time outside of Look frames.

Anyway, It looks great, if I was in the market for one right now I would consider it.

Hopefully it will be included in the next round of Madcow's crankset tests.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:21 pm 

448 grams is nothing to get excited about. It is not a bad weight for a modern crankset but many of us are currently riding lighter cranksets so not sure why there would be any excitement. They seem kind of expensive for the weight.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm 

I think it looks pretty good, though the spider is a bit unsightly.

As for the adjustability of it, that just seems like great engineering.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:48 pm 

HammerTime2 wrote:
You should be grateful if it comes at all.
Zero G Boxer Squad
No crank for you. Come back, 5 years. Neeext!!

typical

Last edited by mdeth1313 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:51 pm 

topflightpro wrote:
As for the adjustability of it, that just seems like great engineering.

Theoretically speaking, if Cannondale offered different spindle lengths separate from their crank arms then those too will be "any-system" compatible.
It was only a matter of time before some company/mfg decided to take that approach.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:12 pm 
Administrator

FWIW Ted is making spacers so this will work with my VumaQuad bottom bracket bearings. I think in the future he may develop cups for the crank to work with a standard 68mm English threaded bottom bracket shell.

One of the big reasons this is coming to the market while it may not be the lightest I think everyone will be surprised at the stiffness of this crank. Numbers to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 pm 

will the original crank testers who got "just a tee-shirt" get one?

these look good. does the crank weight include BB???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:18 pm 
Shop Owner

The Ciamillo carbon crank is Beautiful :D :thumbup:

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:18 pm 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next