Best winter Castelli glove

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

konky

by konky

Can anyone recommend a mid weight Castelli winter Glove? There are so many to choose from. I am happy to pay for the best ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Would prolly be helpful if you provided some details what your winter is like. I'm also usually looking at Castelli first, but not sure they have something that holds up in wet weather close to freezing temps. Their only waterproof one, "Diluvio" is not getting raging reviews. As much as I love everything Castelli, I've come to the conclusion that their overshoes and gloves are a little delicate for beating them up in the dark, when nobody -- not even the wearer -- sees how nice they look.

konky

by konky

On my serious road bikes I try not to ride in wet or icy conditions. I do in freezing weather on my commuter bike but I have a pair of basic heavy gloves for that purpose. I have been using Assos gloves for my proper hard road riding but would like a change this winter and I rather like the Castelli quality and styling. I want mid weight as I have previously stated.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Whatever you end up with, let us know how you like it.

Of the full-finger ones I've been only using the Sessanta which is nice, but obviously not for rainy or really cold weather. Anyway I've generally be finding Castelli's advertised temperature range to be fairly conservative, and the quality consistent, you'll probably not go terribly wrong by that.

mrfish

by mrfish

It depends how cold it is where you live, how hard you ride and how warm you are. I am a good heat generator and don't do slow rides in the winter, so above zero cold is not really an issue for me as long as I keep the wind off my hands by wearing some moderately insulating gloves and appropriate clothes. Thinsulate type ski gloves for instance are far too hot and turn into a sweat bath at bike riding intensities.

This summer I bought the CW4.0 gloves. They are nice quality and feel pretty robust and have about the right level of insulation for cold weather aerobic activity. They also have funky rubber grips on the palm and would be ideal for something like xc skiing where you need to grip as long as it's not super cold (I mean minus 20 deg C not 0). They look good enough to wear them with an overcoat to work in needed. I don't think they would keep your hands totally dry if it rained heavily for 3 hours, but for showers they should be fine (I do not ride more than 3h if it rains). I've only worn them a few times as I bought them in summer on sale, but happy so far.

I also use some very cheap Nike running gloves. They are knitted and super stretchy and work well for moderately cold conditions and pack down nicely if you take them off. I think they were £10. I guess the Castelli equivalent would be the Lightness glove.

For UK conditions of 5 to 10 degrees and dry I might try the Super Nano gloves. For really wet, the Diluvios, but you have to ask how often you go riding if it's really pouring. I was also tempted by the Estremo glove as I like the long collar, but they appeared overkill unless you go skiing or winter hiking, and then I'd want a full waterproof glove for that money.

hna

by hna

wassertreter wrote:Would prolly be helpful if you provided some details what your winter is like. I'm also usually looking at Castelli first, but not sure they have something that holds up in wet weather close to freezing temps. Their only waterproof one, "Diluvio" is not getting raging reviews. As much as I love everything Castelli, I've come to the conclusion that their overshoes and gloves are a little delicate for beating them up in the dark, when nobody -- not even the wearer -- sees how nice they look.

Diluvio isn't a waterproof glove.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

hna wrote:Diluvio isn't a waterproof glove.

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/208/ wrote:This is your glove for cold and/or wet conditions. The Japanese neoprene is some of the highest quality available and this is what makes it so stretchy, comfortable and warm. The seams are constructed using the same technique as a wetsuit: the stitching is only on the outside, while the inside is thermo welded to make it smooth and completely waterproof. While the waterproofness is an obvious benefit in the rain, what’s not so obvious is how good this glove is in the cold.[...]

(Emphasis mine)

aerozy

by aerozy

I just recently bought a pair of Castelli Super Nano Gloves. Yesterday I tried them for the first time. It was quite chilly at around 3-5C. My impression was that the glove was at its operating limit. Any colder and I would have prefered something warmer.

The super nano's are slightly thicker then the normal nano's. I love the nano's too which I find work great between 6-13C.

PS: I have quite good circulation = warm hands
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

sanddancer

by sanddancer

wassertreter wrote:(Emphasis mine)

Thing is, because they work by having your hands sit in their own (supposedly) warm sweat, after 30 minutes they'll be as wet as if you were wearing gloves made of tissue paper. And what's more they'll stink to high heaven. I was hoping these would be the answer to my glove problems, but it seems I need to keep on looking. We're getting into low single digit *C figures here at the minute and already after about 40 minutes on the bike I'll have lost all feeling in my fingers wearing these.

konky

by konky

Thanks guys for your comments. mrfish a very thorough contribution. Anything over 10C or maybe even 8C and I use mitts. I don't feel the need to ride in icy conditions so between 3 and 8-10C is what I want. It looks like the Super Nano gloves might be the way to go or possibly the CW 4.0 WS. I hate hot hands and prefer a bit cold to hot, sweaty hands.

ayrej2

by ayrej2

I really like Giro's gloves. They fit me really well and have been hard wearing and well put together. I used Giro Ambient 2 as my winter glove last year, and will be wearing the same pair this year!

They are great down to about 5-7 degrees at which point my hands would get cold on any ride longer than 30mins. To be fair, I still did use them on my commute in sub zero but my fingers would be cold by the time I arrived. They don't get too warm either even up to mid teens.

They're water resistant, but not waterproof. Worth a look.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I recently bought the Super Nanos. I don't wear mits, so am usually bare handed down to ~10°C. Have tried these gloves between 7°C and 15°C and they've been very comfortable. They easily survived a light, but prolonged shower. The grip on the palm, and fingers is fantastic.

I measure my hands to 19cm, which was at the bottom of the size range for medium. They're a pretty perfect fit, and don't feel tight across the knuckles as some of the reviews on wiggle complain.

indrek
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by indrek

I have three pairs, and use them all...
1. Diluvio - very warm and waterproof. I'm using this for temperatures below 6° C. Only drawback is they don't breath at all. When I take my hand out, it's usually wet from sweat.
2. Unico - quite warm, does't work in wet. Surprisingly warm for a knitted glove. I use these for 7° C and up, when not wet or super windy.
3. Super Nano - a bit less warm than Unico, but more wind and water resistant. I actually expected them to be warmer than Unico, but for me they are not. I use them for racing in 7° C and up. And training in wet when I can't use Unicos.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

What about the Diluvio with a liner underneath to soak up the sweat? My hands are not sweating a lot normally. Anyone tried?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

Thanks konky. Agree super nanos for warm / faster days plus backup CW4.0 for colder / longer slower days is probably the right choice.

@wassertreter: Don't bother with a liner under the Diluvio. It will get wet as hands sweat like feet. Buy something else if you want dry hands.