Slammed stems...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinozee

by tinozee

The whole slammed stem thing is so gay. It's all about saddle to bar drop. You only usually need to slam your stem or get a "pro" HT if you have chimp legs. It's only 5'3" 120 lb jockeys who really need much more drop, 17 degree stems etc.. If you have 10cm+ drop and still have spacers you are still more dropped that the tools who have slammed stems and the saddle is like one inch taller than the bars. I hate this topic.

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

dude.. you don't gotta say it if ya don't like it...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Hey tinozee, stop discriminating against us jockeys! I am vertically challenged and use a 17 stem and still have an issue with drop. Slamming is a valid thread.

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

when i slam i feel like om on a kids bike with massive reach. feel so much closer to the ground when i corner. thats just me :shock:

gospastic

by gospastic

"Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning."

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

no point slamming a stem if the bike doesn't fit any more - old gits (like me) need to be comfortable in the shoulders. we are not all the same body shape so why should we assume a slam stem suits all... madness
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

gospastic wrote:"Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning."

So let me state it again. For most of you, Slamming the stem is more about fashion then the ability to ride your bike.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

PSM

by PSM

Seriously. A picture with a "slammed" stem with spacers above the stem ? Just for the picture ? Silly.

Steerer should be cut. Full stop. :wink:

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Here you are - not a jockey, lots of drop, steerer cut, my normal riding position - I think I avoid everyones pet peeves...
Trek 002a.jpg

If I had H1 geo would be a -6 stem, but didn't want a seat mast frame so 5 & 6 series were out. Needing this stem is just a function of frames getting taller.

artray

by artray

I slam my stem because it's the most comfy position . I have just put my Trek together and even though its pretty much the same size as my Guru, I am sitting a bit higher so I will slam with a -17 degree stem . Im using a -10 at this time and when climbing or out of the saddle I feel hunched up . So I slam for comfort and the fact it looks cool is a bonus.

tinozee "The whole slammed stem thing is so gay " Bang out of order tinozee .
Using gay in that context is offensive . you should be :oops:

PSM

by PSM

artray wrote:

tinozee "The whole slammed stem thing is so gay " Bang out of order tinozee .
Using gay in that context is offensive . you should be

I agree. :!:

jesse00swords

by jesse00swords

No matter what drop I need, I always try to eliminate spacers from my setup. Sometimes, this means a stem with positive rise. :shock:

Less steer-tube means 1) noticeably stiffer steering, 2) better stiffness when honking on the bars in a sprint, and 3) less weight (this is a weight weenie board, right? :thumbup: )

P.S. This thread is getting pretty long--TLDR. Hopefully this hasn't already been said.

elviento

by elviento

can't help but post this... LOL
Attachments
IMG_4764a.jpg
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

onefun

by onefun

I just got this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8mm-1-1-8-Carbo ... 1c2a233dbe
from the bay. :beerchug:

Valbrona wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:Please direct me to where I can get that conical spacer!

It's not a conical spacer, it is the top cap from an integrated headset. Some after market ones are available but it may be just as well to buy a replacement headset with the so desired top cap - you tend to get taller ones and shorter ones.

You have your stem at which position is best for you. Slamming a stem as far down as possible just for the sake of it or just for looks or just for weight saving is silly. 'slamthestem.com' just reinforces how silly the idea is.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Slammed on the Canyon Ultimate CF
Attachments
photo (2).JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com