Merek or Omni setback seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jpack

by jpack

I have ordered a Selle Turbomatic Gel Flow saddle and will probably also get a Merek Mega carbon saddle. While I am at it, I am going to replace the Ritchey Carbon Pro seatpost (244 grams on my scale) with a Merek or Omni seatpost. Merek and Omni price and weight are similar.

The Merek graphics will have to go. It has a 2 bolt carbon clamp which I imagine is better for the carbon rails on the Merek saddle.

The Omni has a 1 bolt metal clamp which appeals to me for ease of changing saddles and adjustment.

I have seen neither of these ebay seatposts. Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I think there are plenty of people on here that have ridden and recommended the omni racer seatpost. I ride the merek saddle and an omni racer seatpost and it runs just fine for the last 6 months. If I recall correctly, the merek post was a little heavier and more expensive. And the graphics are indeed atrocious.

tantra

by tantra

I cut my Merek post down to 250 mm and replaced the steel bolts with Ti. It now weighs 142 g. The graphics are ugly, but they can be easily sanded down to the bare carbon, which looks fine.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

I'm considering buying a Merek seatpost in white. Is there a way to remove the graphics besides sanding? I don't think sanding on white is going work out all that well.

tantra

by tantra

I assume the white is painted on the carbon. You could not remove the graphics without removing the white paint. But you could take it down to the carbon and re-paint it white.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Burgunder

by Burgunder

Have you got a picture of the seatpost without the graphics?

tantra wrote:I cut my Merek post down to 250 mm and replaced the steel bolts with Ti. It now weighs 142 g. The graphics are ugly, but they can be easily sanded down to the bare carbon, which looks fine.