Wheel Advice - Weight or Stunning Good Looks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Would you save the grams at the expense of Looks?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:57 am

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 22

climber

by climber

:D This is my first post on WW. Need some advice / encouragement. Buying some new wheels from Mike at Oddsandendos.com for my C-40. These will be all arounders, for climbing, fast club rides, and some training.
Going with Velocity Aerohead rims (24F, 28R), Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Big decision is whether to go for the stunning Red rims with beautiful glossy powder coat finish that will look fantastic (at the cost of 40g) or to do the Weenie thing and go with a matt black anodized finish.

The wife (who does not ride) is confident and shouting GO FOR THE LOOK! I admit I'm torn. Maybe I would get dropped on a few less rides with a few less grams; working out more is not a real option (3 kids including a 1 year old!).

So forum members, what do you advise??? Getting rid of the wife is not an option!

Thanks!

Ivan

by Ivan

I voted "yes" cos i like a black anodized finish. Even if i didnt i would still go for the weight saving but then again, 40 g is not that much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martin

by martin

climber wrote::D This is my first post on WW.

then welcome to the weight weenies forum! :D
climber wrote:Need some advice / encouragement. Buying some new wheels from Mike at Oddsandendos.com for my C-40. These will be all arounders, for climbing, fast club rides, and some training.

IMO, It depends how well the colour of the rims goes with your C40's paintjob. (most C40's i've seen have every colour in the spectrum represented, so you might be on the safe side here :-) )
I personally don't like it when parts have colours that are only almost the same shade. I've seen a factory built red De Rosa Vega with red stem, saddle, hanlebartape and wheels, where every single one of these parts had a *different* shade of red. Awful!
black is very neutral and might also be easier to sell when you think of an upgrade later on. I advise against black spokes for religious reasons - i like to see the sun reflecting on shiny polished rims...

But your own taste should be the only thing that matters here - after all, its your bike and you have to like its looks (same thing as with women) ;-)
For the weight issue, if you are not attempting to make your bike "superlight", 40g difference is nothing.
Even when i built my 6.4kg Scott, i took some weight penalties for looks(Record front derailleur instead of the DA, Mavic brakes instead of FRM or Cat, Tune stem instead of "The Stem", also red or yellow tires will never touch my rims if i can help it, may they be as light as they like) :-)

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

1st- you're not going to get dropped because of 40 grams so that really isn't an issue. With that in mind then go for the look you want and don't worry about the weight difference.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Welcome to weight weenies!

I voted looks over weight.

To me, it's a personal thing, but the bike should be pleasing to the eye as well as have the technical details we would like. One thing that came to mind though, Velocity make an off-center rear Aerohead as well, but it's only in black. Personally that would make my choice for me, as I'd use one of those to help even the tension in the rear.
Ride lightly!

jim

by jim

the off center aeroheads are available in all colors actually. you can call velocity at 800-453-6126. i recommend you speak with doug or john. you will of course need to order the rims through your dealer.

Cyco

by Cyco

Go for they style, get ther red rims. But you can still be a true weight weenie by getting the anodisied red ones :lol:
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

bobalou

by bobalou

Sounds like there is no loss to me.. flat black and less weight. Looks better IMHO. Put the anodized red on a chick bike. :oops:

climber

by climber

Thanks to all who offered their advice - some excellent thoughts I had not considered before. It is also very cool to get perspectives from cycling enthusiasts all over the world! This is an amazing forum - thanks to the moderators and other people who keep it going! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

these days you can save weight and look good at the same time, so its not a very hard choice, alot or some light weight parts look good anyways.