vittoira pave alternative.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cnbky

by cnbky

I've been looking for winter clincher tires that are as close to my veloflex carbon tubs. Having been on high tpi tires for a while now, I'd prefer not to go back to the rubbery feel of ultremos or contis.

I've searched the forum quite a bit however seems there is no accepted set-up (other then Paves).

I would get the paves but afraid that the greens will clash with the sky dogma blue or the trek madone navy blue (unless one argues otherwise).

So, what is the most supple tire that will behave like the paves?

(I have used the veloflex carbons in clincher when they were marketed as 22mm, quite bad in the wet)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Go with the Pave.....people "in the know" will get it. Also.....think you can get them in solid black if you look around. Either way, it's the winter.....bring a little Christmas cheer to your ride!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

Vittoria Paves work. Period. Nothing else is the same.

Yes, they were available for a while in an all-black version because Bjarne Riis got so pissed at having that green stripe on the bikes in his team (I believe it was Bjarne; someone correct me if I was wrong). These were 290 tpi tires and honestly were a little slipperier than the green ones because the green rubber really does work better. I keep hearing stories about 320 tpi all-black ones, but each time I hear about them or order some, they turn out to be 290 tpi. Anyone got a photo of all-black 320 tpi ones?

This year Paves are going to 25 mm from 24 mm. They are actually fatter than that seems in the newer diameter. I like them better and the green stripe seems to be wider too. The 24 mm tires will be on clearance so it's a good time to buy them.

It really is winter and if you need a tire like this, get the Pave. There's nothing else like it. The green stripe gets much duller as soon as it gets dirty so it's only on the first ride that you have to deal with it.

em3

by em3

11.4 wrote:This year Paves are going to 25 mm from 24 mm. They are actually fatter than that seems in the newer diameter. I like them better and the green stripe seems to be wider too. The 24 mm tires will be on clearance so it's a good time to buy them.

The Vittoria website actually has new 2013 Open Pave listed as 25c (240gm) and 27c (280gm) ...very interesting, and exciting that they are going to offer in 27c. Look slike the tread profile is differnt and they dropped the green center stripe and went back to two green side stripes. Has anyone seen or tried these yet?
EM3

cnbky

by cnbky

Seems like these aren't out yet. Its coming up as 'coming soon' on the distributers page.

An interesting change is, yes, the paves have gone up to 25/27mm with the addition of a new model, the CORSA SR 24mm.

These have a similar pattern to the corsa cx but with more defined lines. Vittoira markets all their high-end tubs and opens as wet/dry weather tires. But we all know how they handle in the wet.

Only the paves were marketed as rough road tires (they have a little "!" symbol by them). Now the new model, Corsa SR 24mms also specified as rough road tires.

So, if true to statements, there is a new 'pave' model which is jet black.

the tubular and the clincher versions are both claimed 250g....hmm

giant man

by giant man

Good god man, don't worry about colour clashes. Are you that much of a bike tart?

The Vittoria Pave are fine, fine tyres, Fit 'em, ride 'em and enjoy 'em .....

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I've almost had my mind made up to use 25mm Conti Comps for the winter, but with all the love for the Pavè here I'm almost having second thoughts. Can anyone compare the two?

kgt

by kgt

I' ve tried both. Pave is a higher quality tire IME. More plush ride, lower rolling resistance (in practice not in theory), more durable than Conti, way better allround feel.
Last edited by kgt on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I have to agree except for durability. They are very good in that aspect, but not better than Continental.
I use the 24mm clincher every day to work, and 27mm tubular (for the pave of Paris Roubaix).
Both excel.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

FMB Paris Roubaix!?

cnbky

by cnbky

looking at clincher specifically.

although I have been eyeing dugasts/pr fmbs for a while now.

im hopeful of the new vittoria model. and yes, I do like matching appropriately.

if we were discussing tubulars, then the list would be hard to chose from...

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Duuh, my bad, clinchers it is. Just for the record: You should be eying further down the tubular route though.

cnbky

by cnbky

i ride veloflexs tubulars daily :D

LionelB

by LionelB

canbakay wrote:i ride veloflexs tubulars daily :D

You can only get disappointed by any of the clincher mentioned here then :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

notsoswift

by notsoswift

FmB are a bit of a pain because the sidewalls are not sealed

But for Clinchers stay with the Pave, as the first reply said, people who count understand straight away