Tell me I'm wrong - (future upgrades)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

I'm sure everyone has future plans for the bikes, or an ideal build spec.

Over this weekend I have been thinking about what parts I would like to upgrade when funds are available. The aim is not to go for the lightest parts possible, but good quality upgrades that aren't too expensive and are strong and reliable.

I have done lots of reading on WW and BikeRadar, magazines etc etc.

So if I was buying brand new parts and had a budget of around £1000 I would buy:

Rockshox Reba RLT fork, £500, saving around 500g on current fork

Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset, 2011 close out price around £350, 2012 RRP £650, saving around 400g on current wheelset
or
Stans Crest ZTR, hope evo2, notubes etc £380, saving around 480g on current wheelset

Schwalbe Rocket Rons, £40ish each saving around 115g per tyre, and go tubeless saving another 100g approx per tyre.

What are your thoughts on my plans, positive and negative please.

Thanks
Aim : to get a 12.2kg Rockhopper down in the 10's !!

My sloooow weight loss project!

boots2000

by boots2000

You are wrong-
Get a Fox Float- just as light or lighter than Reba but performs way better.
don't get the Mavic- get Stan's- if you like Hope hubs that is fine, DT is my personal favorite.
Rocket Ron is fine up front but Racing Ralph has more bite in back and lasts longer. You can also get snakeskin Ralphs- they will last longer if this is an every day tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

Thanks for your input.

Fox Float would be amazing, but it is price £2-300 more than the Reba, and I am referring to the new Reba RLT which was rated very highly.

I am still researching tyres, so I will consider other options.

02GF74

by 02GF74

SimonGoesSideways wrote:I'm sure everyone has future plans for the bikes, or an ideal build spec.

Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset, 2011 close out price around £350, 2012 RRP £650, saving around 400g on current wheelset
or
Stans Crest ZTR, hope evo2, notubes etc £380, saving around 480g on current wheelset

Schwalbe Rocket Rons, £40ish each saving around 115g per tyre, and go tubeless saving another 100g approx per tyre.

For wheels, have you considered Roval AL - 1425g - for £ 280 at Sigma Sport.

I am sure you can get Rocket Rons for much less thant £ 40 is you search the web.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Roval al's are very good wheels for the money. American classic are also worth looking at.
My personal choice would be a used set of SIDS ,Roval al's and either Bontrager xr1 team issue tyres or Onza canis.

However, I usually go in a different direction to most people's choices :D

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

I will look into Roval wheels, American Classics were on my list a while ago, but since I have been eyeing up the Stans and the Mavics I have forgotten about them !

I know a lot of people don't like Mavics, but surely if I can get the 2011 £650 Crossmax ST's for half price, they must be worth considering, especially since my LBS is a Mavic dealer and had assured me about their service and back up............hmmm.

As for prices, Im just quoting general RRPs and not what I can actually get them for, so I am sure some searching around will bring up cheaper prices.

My main problem is I do too much reading and not enough riding ! 2nd hand stuff should be an option too, I am just never too sure about it.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

SimonGoesSideways wrote:I know a lot of people don't like Mavics, but surely if I can get the 2011 £650 Crossmax ST's for half price, they must be worth considering...

I would argue that Mavic wheels are worth about half of MSRP. They upside to buying them at a good price is you will be ahead on the resale front compared to paying retail for another wheelset.

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

Yes thats a fair comment, which is why I think they are a good option as half price.

My LBS actually recommended doing things mega cheap and buying Mavic Crossrides for £180, as they make a big change to the bike. Trouble is, if I am going to buy wheels, I should go for the best I can afford, hence why I am looking in the £300 - 400 bracket.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

If you are just looking for bang for the buck I would recommend Crests or Arch EX's on ZTR hubs straight from Stans or Crests on Hope hubs from Chain Reaction. Their pre-built wheelset is $450ish USD, not sure what it is for you.

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

Yeh that is one of my main choices, $450 USD works out to £281 GBP which is very good :)

Just checking on Chain Reactions site, Stans Crest with Hope Evo2 Pros work out to £297 (they have 10% discount on them).

Not bad at all !!!

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

Unless you need something with a very high POE (VERY technical rocky terrain) that deal is hard to beat. In my mind that is one of the only downsides of the Hope hubs, other than weight.

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

The exact kind of riding is:

on the road when riding to parks and forests.
forest trails and bridleways, which can get quite muddy when it rains (quite often)
bump jumps on speed humps, roots and muddy lumps
small dirt jumps (max 5ft gaps)

So it's nothing too heavy or rocky, I weigh around 72kgs. I am sure all of the wheels suggested above are fine for my riding

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

The Hope/Crest wheel set is great for the money.

deluxerider

by deluxerider

I prefer custom built wheels to pre-builts. I've had both, but the advantage for me is how much easier it is to get spokes, etc. for a custom set than say a set of Crossmax. Go with the Stan's.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The freehub body on the Crossmax is notorious for drying out and needing consistent relubrication. You could go with a custom set that is lighter than the Crossmaxs that also would require less maintenance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com