Top riders don't like disk brakes ?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ms6073

by ms6073

jostanderhub wrote:The roadbike industry also invents solutions for problems that do not exist, on an annual basis. but the average roadbike addict or weekend warrior is quite open for all this ueber-stiffness, extra aero and comfort products.
Well yeah, otherwise whats the point of these forums? :noidea:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Frans

by Frans

Discs are the response to the question no one asked. Except Froglegs users :-)

If you already have a stable of 130mm rim-braked cross bikes and wheels, going disc will cost you £5000+ to replace 2 bikes and 3 sets of wheels. The transition will happen slowly.

Totally agree that overpowering the contact patch is the big problem:

- On the road, I'd HATE to see the effect of road-disc braking power in the hands of green, novice Cat 4s (the lowest cat in the UK) on a wet road. It would look like 10-pin bowling when those effers panic.

- I'm a tentative crosser and I over-brake with my TRP Eurox's as it is - more braking power would mean more accelerations from a dead stop, tired-er legs and lower results. That's how I see it. I get yelled at enuf by the racers behind me after I mess up a corner thank you very much.

I like that fact that my near-useless Eurox's leave me barrelling into a corner too fast where I have to trust my Grifos more. Bring that on.

If you're riding down 6' muddy dropoffs or chutes in a cross race you need to give your race organizer a copy of the UCI manual - that's north shore, not cross. Sorry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Tom Meeusen has been testing with disc brakes (with the Hope converter). In the summer of 2011 that was, dont know why he doesnt use them in races. I'll have to ask him :P

availpunk9

by availpunk9

I would love to convert my stable to discs. I currently have 2 geared, 1 single speed, and 9 tubular wheel sets. By no means, I can go all in; I just can't afford to. I also don't want one bike w/discs and one w/out. So at this point, I wait....

OJ

by OJ

I have hard time justifying disc brakes on a cross bike to myself. In dry conditions cantis have more than enough stopping power and the worse weather the less I need brakes. Then again I have not tested cross bikes with disc brakes too much yet and none of the bikes I've tested have been race bikes. Discs are probably awesome for touring and all year/all weather commuting even just for durability.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rockdude

by rockdude

One of my Teammates just had to have disc this season. He spent money he didn't have to get them and now he regrets it. His bike is 1 1/2 pounds heaver and he claims the braking is no better if not worse than his cantis and not as good as his mini V's.

I think over time the top pro's will use them, not because they are faster but because the sponsors will force the issue. They will be the standard 5 years from now and they will get better but don't expect them to put you on the podium.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

ms6073

by ms6073

rockdude wrote:His bike is 1 1/2 pounds heaver
Conversely, I went 'all in' but only because I gambled and bought frames and wheels from China and my Dengfu carbon disc crosser with Farsports carbon tubulars is ~1/2 pound heavier than the Ridley X-Night which is now a pit bike, albeit with carbon clinchers.

he claims the braking is no better if not worse than his cantis and not as good as his mini V's.
From my perspective, while dry braking on flat terrain is not appreciably better, at races this past weekend (non UCI) on a course layed out on rolling hill side terrain and featured several high speed downhills. On the descent despite a couple chicanes, speeds got pretty high yet braking with Avid BB7's and 160mm rotors was consistent and allowed me to brake much, much later for the s-turn at the bottom of the descent than those without disc brakes. The course also included a nice drop off down a somewhat steep embankment which of course was immediately followed by a 180 at the bottom, and while myself and several others were able to ride the 'runup' in practice, it was faster to dismount and run back up. for the race, many dismounted at the top and ran down as several who tried riding down were not able to maintain control as brakes locked up or simply failed to slow them resulting in an overshoot whereas discs allowed me to roll down while easily controlling speed without locking the brakes. Unfortunately the advantages gained on the descents and such were negated on the backside of the course where we snaked our way back up the hillside with barriers and double sand pit not long after reaching the hilltop. :|
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"