2013 Exposure Joystick (mk7) or no brand CREE light?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

parajba

by parajba

I currently have an Exposure Flash and an Exposure Flare, I use them to commute 2 hours every day, streets are generally lit, there is lots of traffic.
I would like to invest in a pair of new lights in addition to the two existing ones.

I'm torn between the following options:

1. 2013 Joystick with RedEye mounted on helmet

or

2. Buy a 2nd Flare and get one of those CREE lights from eBay which sell for around £30 delivered. Apparently they are VERY bright and use the new CREE XML T6 led.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-XM-L ... 20c5013dc9

I know there are many good front lights out there (other Exposures e.g. Strada etc, Lupine, L&M, AyUp etc) but I had to limit my choice to just a few. I don't think I want to spend more than £200 anyway.

What I value is:

1. Brightness: cars, motorbikes and pedestrians need to see me well
2. Battery: should last around 10 hours (5 days commute)
3. Waterproof: rains quite a lot in the UK
4. Price: < £200.
5. Reliability: don't want to get electrocuted.

I'm not planning to use the new light for proper night riding, this is just commute.
I'm aware of the helmet vs. handlebar debate, and I believe that a smallish light mounted on the helmet gives me an advantage over the same installed on handlebars.

I used the search function but couldn't find anything specific enough (and recent).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

I have a noname so called 900lumen one, about 1.5-2 years old design.
It's more than enough. Actually many motorists flash at me as they're blinded by the non focused light.

Of course it's nowhere near 900 lumen, just as these new CREEs are not 1800. But I'm sure they are brighter. A bit overkill.

parajba

by parajba

Thanks for your input.

Is the battery pack reliable when it rains? Do you think I can get 10 hours on low?

Thanks again.

mrfish

by mrfish

No brand. I have one of those 900 lumen ones too and it has just worked for a couple of years. 10 hours runtime? Probably not. But if you look up overlander.co.uk then they can build pretty much any battery pack you like, or you could recharge the battery in the office

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I've got than exact no-brand light. It is seriously bright. batter pack fits well on the bike. The only problem is that the mount is very small. 26mm is tight, 31.8mm? No way. I'm going to have to make a mount for it to work for night CX races.

parajba

by parajba

Thanks for the replies, it's good to see good feedback.

So the mount is very tight on the handlebars? According to the ebay ad it should come with 2 o-rings? I have a Deda Zero 100 handlebars, I think it's slightly oversized.

Btw, looks very similar to the Magicshine 808, but at half the price...

ave

by ave

Mine came with 2 different O rings, I've it on a Deda Zero 100 on my winter bike. It's not too easy to install it, but I guess then otherwise it would not hold it in place.
My battery is definetely not waterproof, it was just heat shrinked then put it in the textile holder. I've not rode too much in rain, but it survived so far.
And as I understand even these cheap ones' battery now come with a hard plastic case.

Mine's battery life is around 6 hours at low. Very easy to detach from the bike, so I put it on a charger every 2-3 days.

parajba

by parajba

ave wrote:Mine came with 2 different O rings, I've it on a Deda Zero 100 on my winter bike. It's not too easy to install it, but I guess then otherwise it would not hold it in place.
My battery is definetely not waterproof, it was just heat shrinked then put it in the textile holder. I've not rode too much in rain, but it survived so far.
And as I understand even these cheap ones' battery now come with a hard plastic case.

Mine's battery life is around 6 hours at low. Very easy to detach from the bike, so I put it on a charger every 2-3 days.

Thanks for your help, very kind. Would it make a good light for commuting? I commute 2 hours each day, every day. It rains quite often here in the UK...Maybe the newer designs have better waterproofing? It'd be interested to hear from somebody who bought it recently too.

There is quite a price difference between:

- No-name off eBay around £30
- MagicShine around £80
- Exposure Joystick + RedEye + helmet mount around £200.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Hmm, strange. Mine came with a clamp on sort of mount.

mrfish

by mrfish

Mine is actually the Magicshine one. It has an o-ring which holds it on the handlebars. It works fine on 26mm and oversize bars. Battery pack is exactly as others described.

It's fine for commuting, if anything too bright as in flashing mode you can see the light in refletive signs close to 1km away. But it also has a low beam mode and then high beam is nice for pitch black country roads. For £30 I would start with the cheap one, then if you don't like it re-sell it to a clubmate for half price and get the magicshine one.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I have a Lumicycle 3si Elite26. Probably at the expensive end of what you're after, but for me it was worth is as I also used mine for rides out of London in the winter evenings/nights last year.

* Has a road specific beam pattern.
* Side visibility.
* Lasts all week on one charge for commuting.
* Has handled the good ol' British weather fine.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

maquisard

by maquisard

I use Exposure lights, have done for the past couple of years, they are expensive but in my opinion, worth it.

You pay your money and with Exposure you get a complete solution, not just the power of the light. That means very durable and strong bodies and a completely bombproof 'hot shoe' style handlebar mount.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Look up Gloworm lights. I also own few knockoffs but you will not get the battery life you want. Gloworm is also lightweight(80g) so you don't feel it on your helmet. They also are comeing up with a dedicated helmet light in the next few weeks.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com