Ozvelonut wrote:I tried all the suggested fixes, but the R/H cup would keep working out.
Did you try Loctite 7649 primer with Loctite 641 or 609?
Ozvelonut wrote:I didn't use the Loctite primer and 609 on the Campg cups ...I thought about using Loctite on the Campag cups but was concerned that because they have a low contact area, they'd damage the carbon BB hole on the Cannondale.
Ozvelonut wrote:Yes em3, you're right that Cannondale recommends using the Loctite products, but they also state that the contact area MUST be greater than 12mm... and then the BB adapter should be installed with Loctite as well.
To me, the risk with bonding the Campag cups was a possibility of damaging my frame.
Seeming I had a SRAM BB supplied with my frame, it was not a difficult decision to bin the Campag cups and use the SRAM.
At some stage in the near future I'm planning on turning up a pair of new cups patterned on the Campag ones, but which have greater contact area and are joined by a tube similar to the SRAM PF30 BB. Something similar to the Praxis Shimano BB30 adapter.
bikerjulio wrote:This thread illustrates how precise the tolerances in a BB30 system need to be and how difficult it seems to be for manufacturers to achieve them. So much so that Cannondale has given up it's flagship standard on it's highest end frame and gone with PF30 instead. Looks like an admission of failure on their part.
micropox wrote:I think a good solution for campy cranks to work on a PF30 frame is to just use the SRAM PF30 to BSA Adapter kit:
I not sure you understand what the issue is here. There is no problem with tolerances in the BB30 or PF30 designs (respectfully, I suggest you have a look at the definition of "tolerance"). The issue we are discussing here is using a crankset which Cannondale does not use in it's production bikes, which uses external bearings as opposed to bearings housed within the BB shell.
The problem is Campagnolo makes a set of PF30 adapter cups that are of poor design. Nothing more or less.