Lightest Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

thisisatest wrote:they add a 250(!) gram post to other frames to "normalise' the weights, but on their ISP the do NOT include the weight of the ISP head! their "test" is by far the most phony ive ever seen.
Giant should run for U.S. president. It has shown itself to be qualified.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hoggy

by hoggy

I've mentioned the Sarto bikes before and I wonder if anyone has any real world experience with them. As the link shows 4.4kg is pretty impressive.[url].http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/09/i ... bike-lust/[/url] ... And no I'm not associated with them in any way.
Cheers

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Bike lust indeed. That Sarto's gorgeous.
Ah can't afford it <sigh>
r o y g b i v

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

hoggy wrote:I've mentioned the Sarto bikes before and I wonder if anyone has any real world experience with them. As the link shows 4.4kg is pretty impressive.[url].http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/09/i ... bike-lust/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/url] ... And no I'm not associated with them in any way.
Cheers

Spec list?

I see AX Lightness rims, THM cranks, TRP brakes, SR brifters and derailleurs, aluminum or titanium cassette, KCNC cobweb chainrings, AX seatpost, Tune saddle.

So assuming 4.5 kg with pedals then.
Experimental Prototype

djconnel

by djconnel

I got to see the Rolo: not the super-light one, but the older one on the web site. It was impressive looking, for sure, and the silver paint covering part of it, I was told, was from Formula 1. It's in the mid-800's: light, much lighter than the Fuji SL/1 in the same size, but too large for me. I was able to hook up a friend, an excellent climber who rides a Parlee Z0, on the frame for a hill climb I organized (so wasn't riding) but things came together very last minute, and a minor snafu in connecting the two meant by the time pedals were swapped my friend arrived at the start only in time to start at the back of the 133 rider pack as the climb began.

He rode like a crazy guy to move to the front of the group, then noticed he was having a lot of trouble. Sudden loss of fitness, perhaps? No -- it turns out the THM Clavicula crank had frozen up, and the bottom bracket bearing assemblies were actually rotating. Climb over.

I asked him how the frame rode compared to his Parlee Z0 and he said the frame seemed fine at least during the one-minute test... after all he was able to bridge to the front of the pack in a climb which was eventually won by a member of the Garmin-Chipotle development squad. He would have preferred a 110 mm to 130 mm bolt circle (the peak grade sustained over 100 meters on the climb is 10.5%, which @ 1400 with a 39/25 results in cadence of 68, and he prefers having the option of higher). He didn't like the stiffness of the Lightweight clinchers compared to his Dura-Ace wheels. And of course we both agreed we had no regrets on never having sprung for a Clavicula.

Fortunately, the scoring rules in the hill climb series allow riders to throw away up to half their scores, so he can do that here. But I think the next test isn't going to be in an organized event.