Training or Nutrition?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Apologies in advance for the generic question, but on rides when fatigue sets in and the final short climb feels like I'm climbing Alp D'Huez, have I ridden too far or have I not eaten enough?

For reference, on a 2 1/2 hour ride I will generally consume two bottles of energy drink, a Cliff bar, and maybe a gel. Average speed is in the 28 to 30 km/h range with maybe 300 m of elevation gain.

I know the answer is part fitness and part nutrition, but I get the feeling that I'd feel a bit stronger if maybe I consumed a few more calories during the ride.

Feel free to respond with "dude, you need to ride more..." ;-)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

"dude, you need to ride more...in the hills" :D
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That's more than enough fuel.

It certainly looks like a conditioning/training issue.

boots2000

by boots2000

How hard was the ride leading to the climb? How hard did you attempt the climb?
How hot was it?
Were you well hydrated and well fueled before the ride?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

300m isn't much of a 'climb' :shock:

(that's assuming the rest of the ride is pancake flat)

bricky21

by bricky21

I read it as 300 meters of elevation throughout the ride :noidea: Anyways, dude you need to ride more :lol:

devinci

by devinci

dude, you need to ride more

not a nutrition question, you eat more then enough for that type of ride. Just ride longer and harder

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Yeah, there is no "climbing" to speak of around here. That's why I characterized it as "elevation gain" - it ain't climbing. The toughest I can find is 2km at 12% - steep-ish, but not long enough.

Either way, thanks for your feedback - much appreciated.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

bricky21 wrote:I read it as 300 meters of elevation throughout the ride :noidea: Anyways, dude you need to ride more :lol:

So did I.

My response still stands.

otoman

by otoman

mellowJohnny wrote:Yeah, there is no "climbing" to speak of around here. That's why I characterized it as "elevation gain" - it ain't climbing. The toughest I can find is 2km at 12% - steep-ish, but not long enough.

Either way, thanks for your feedback - much appreciated.

240m of elevation over 2km is certainly a stiff enough hill. Ignore these knuckleheads. :D

Probably a bit of training issue, but how much are you eating before the ride and how long before the ride? Don't stuff your face, but an easily digestible snack is warranted on most rides over 2 hours, especially in the hills 8) Unless of course you are trying to do a Tommy D and "train" your body to use fat instead of carbs on your rides :roll:
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

From one knucklehead to another: 2km of climbing a 12% grade in a span of 2.5 hrs is not climbing. It's a warm up. OK?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

otoman

by otoman

Agree, but for someone that lives in a place that can only manage to rack up 300 m of climbing in two and a half hours of riding, this certainly would count as the big climb in the area. The Cauberg is shorter and lower avg grade -- the pros certainly consider that a climb. Not all of us can do a 12% 2km climb and forget to shift out of the big ring! :lol: :)
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

chipomarc

by chipomarc

Some really good info coming out of Lithuania from Edward Borysewicz.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

otoman wrote:Agree, but for someone that lives in a place that can only manage to rack up 300 m of climbing in two and a half hours of riding, this certainly would count as the big climb in the area. The Cauberg is shorter and lower avg grade -- the pros certainly consider that a climb. Not all of us can do a 12% 2km climb and forget to shift out of the big ring! :lol: :)

It depends what you have as your gearing: 53x29 is easier than a 39x27 for example.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

You guys are killing me - arguing about how much "climbing" in my ride. :-)

I went back to look at my Garmin info for ride I was referring to and it was 556 m of "elevation gain". There are a few short, steep, fun climbs, but generally it's flat to rolling. Doesn't matter - my point is the ride is a decent length for me (80km), but for the last 25% of it I'm done.

So, all I was curious about is whether the fatigue was due to lack of conditioning, or lack of "in flight refuelling". Consensus seems to be conditioning, which I figured.

Thanks again for all the feedback - I really appreciate it.
Last edited by mellowJohnny on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com