HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:44 am 

Will Vittoria Pitsop "release" through a Zipp valve extender and through the presta valve on the stem its attached to? I've been riding this configuration for some time with a bottle of Pitstop in my jersey pocket, luckily no need to use it, but today began to wonder if the sealant will release through the "open" extender.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:08 am 
Shop Owner

it's designed to flow through a standard presta valve assembly, so having a bit of a metal tube before it poses no problem.
personally, i have about a 30% success rate w pitstop anyways. but most flats here are from glass.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:08 am 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:12 am 
Formerly known as PezTech

Pittstop works every time for me, but I also only ever use the full core extenders that move the valve to the top. I unscrew the valve and dump the full content of the pittstop inside, replace the valve, swish it around and inflate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:56 pm 

It does work.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:41 pm 

thisisatest wrote:
it's designed to flow through a standard presta valve assembly, so having a bit of a metal tube before it poses no problem.
personally, i have about a 30% success rate w pitstop anyways. but most flats here are from glass.

30% success rate?!? Knowing that I would have just saved my money to go towards a new tubular tire rather than buy this 18 dollar tube of no help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:59 am 
Shop Owner

i carried another tubular when i used them. not against them, it's just how it is right now.
a couple coworkers with tubulars dont carry pitstop, they carry a 2oz Stans bottle and a co2. for the tubulars that pitstop wont fix, Stans seals it fully about 75% of the time. other times it wont hold at pressure or eventually pushes out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 am 

thisisatest wrote:
i carried another tubular when i used them. not against them, it's just how it is right now.
a couple coworkers with tubulars dont carry pitstop, they carry a 2oz Stans bottle and a co2. for the tubulars that pitstop wont fix, Stans seals it fully about 75% of the time. other times it wont hold at pressure or eventually pushes out.

Did they pour the Stan's down the Zipp extender and use the CO2 or fill the tubie with Stan's before installed?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 am 

You've got to remove the valve core to get the Stan's into the tube. I put the Stan's in before I glue the tire on. I got a puncture a few months back. It was enough for the Stan's to start spraying out...sealed itself...hasn't leaked air since.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:11 am 

Getter wrote:
You've got to remove the valve core to get the Stan's into the tube. I put the Stan's in before I glue the tire on. I got a puncture a few months back. It was enough for the Stan's to start spraying out...sealed itself...hasn't leaked air since.

Had a friend suggest this method. Had a shop advise otherwise. When I replace this pair I think I'll go with Stan's.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 am 
Shop Owner

ditto what Getter said.
some people hesitate to use a latex sealant in latex tubes, ive yet to see a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:25 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Twinning wrote:
thisisatest wrote:

30% success rate?!? Knowing that I would have just saved my money to go towards a new tubular tire rather than buy this 18 dollar tube of no help.

My success rate with Pittstop is close to 0%. Even when it does seem to work at first it does not in the long run which makes it even worse...
From comparative testresults it is also shown not to work too well either. There are other and cheaper products out there that do a better job.

Either way depending on such a product to carry you back home is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 pm 

I found the pitstop to work about 25% of the time. Certainly not more than that. I used Stans and Tufo also. Those work better, but not on the road. I'll put that in when I get home, pull the core, pour about half the bottle in, replace the core and rotate the tire so that the hole is at 6 o'clock. Let it sit for a day and reinflate. That works better than pitstop, but it won't get you home. Eventually, I decided it was just easier to zip tie an extra tire to my saddle and always have it with me. No more pitstop and no more Stans. No more problems with getting stranded too.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 pm