HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:24 pm
Posts: 1568
Location: Center of the Universe
shillc wrote:
3,500 km?
That sounds just about right, in my experience.


You must have installed them improperly or frames bb shell off, or maybe just terrible luck.

_________________
TIME RXR


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:35 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:48 am
Posts: 1149
Location: Central USA
Simonhi wrote:
Any specific oil ?

I'm thinking GT85 with PTFE (Teflon) to flush through every now and then.

Cheers :thumbup:

Si.


I also used Triflow as I had some around. It has been used on my 2009 SR crankset three times - first at about 4000 miles then 2 more at about 3000 miles (once I learned that Campy suggests every 3000 miles for the SR bearings) and twice on my 2011 SR crankset also at intervals of about 3000 miles. In all cases everything had worked great prior to opening it up, looked pretty clean once opened up, then cleaned with mineral spirits, let dry, lubed, and still going strong.

Love the low friction they provide!!!! :beerchug:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:01 am 
Offline
Tubbie Guru

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 5783
Location: Belgium
Hi,

Gregorio wrote:
shillc wrote:
3,500 km?
That sounds just about right, in my experience.


You must have installed them improperly or frames bb shell off, or maybe just terrible luck.


My thoughts as well. Even ordinary steel bearings should last 20 x that long.

I have CULT bearings (admittedly in wheels) that have seen the better part of 65.000 km. They're still like new and so they should. Cronitect steel as used for the races is it tough as it comes. Those bearings actually grind sand and other particles to dust without causing damage to themselves.

Those who seek ultimate low friction should try Krytox* loaded lubricants, it's even lower friction than the common PTFE particles.
Better still is Nanolubricant's ceramic grease which contains ceramic micro- (actually nano) spheres that reduce friction even further.

* Ideally you could use a water based chain wax with Krytox with added fine oil. The wax will seal the bearing better keeping the oil in, the oil will keep the wax in a soft state.

Ciao, ;)

_________________
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm
Posts: 80
I'm hoping it was bad luck rather than the frames BB being out of whack.

How can I check whether the BB alignment is incorrect ???

Whilst I'm not ruling out that they may have been installed incorrectly I'm not too sure how this could be done. With cups installed and the two halves of the crank but together and torqued to the correct figure (42-60Nm) how could they not be right ???

_________________
Enigma Echo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:31 pm
Posts: 459
fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

Gregorio wrote:
shillc wrote:
3,500 km?
That sounds just about right, in my experience.


You must have installed them improperly or frames bb shell off, or maybe just terrible luck.


My thoughts as well. Even ordinary steel bearings should last 20 x that long.

I have CULT bearings (admittedly in wheels) that have seen the better part of 65.000 km. They're still like new and so they should. Cronitect steel as used for the races is it tough as it comes. Those bearings actually grind sand and other particles to dust without causing damage to themselves.

Those who seek ultimate low friction should try Krytox* loaded lubricants, it's even lower friction than the common PTFE particles.
Better still is Nanolubricant's ceramic grease which contains ceramic micro- (actually nano) spheres that reduce friction even further.

* Ideally you could use a water based chain wax with Krytox with added fine oil. The wax will seal the bearing better keeping the oil in, the oil will keep the wax in a soft state.

Ciao, ;)


Great thread guys. Krytox is £86 for a 16 oz spray however.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:01 am
Posts: 31
a good cleaning and proper tourque also make sure bb threads on frame are faced clean sometimes it as small as alittle extra paint that got missed in facing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:44 pm 
Offline
Tubbie Guru

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 5783
Location: Belgium
Hi,

Quote:
Great thread guys. Krytox is £86 for a 16 oz spray however.


:shock:

The trick is to use a chain wax/oil with Krytox in it and add some fine oil (such as sewing machine grade) yourself. The wax will be pushed against the seals where it intercepts imcoming dirt whilst doing no harm to the workings of the bearings themselves.

Ciao, ;)

_________________
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:29 am
Posts: 46
Location: Ibiuna-SP-Brazil
I'd recomend you to disassembli the intire BB cleam all parts including the frame.
grease the bb and the frame lube the bearings whith proper oil. if you find some difficulty to find especific oil,probably you won't find in bike shops,the best place to find is in skate shops.if you seart for cheaper price you can look for SAE 50 oil that's the recomend viscosit for ceramiic bearings

_________________
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:56 am
Posts: 264
Simonhi wrote:
...bought new in 2011 and probably has 3000kms on it...


Should still be under warranty, right? I recall everything in Campy groupset is 2-4 years. There's no way you should have to replace these bearings after only 3k unless defective. I'm not even sure how I can understand how they could be improperly installed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:36 am
Posts: 1156
Location: UK
Not sure if the warranty will cover it as it's a wear item but it's worth a try.

@Simonhi, does your frame have a drain hole? Even if it doesn't it seems there could be an alignment / fitting issue to wear the bearings so quickly.

Re. grease Finish Line Extreme Fluoro Grease is a relatively cheap alternative to use with ceramic bearings.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Orfitinho and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Which PF 30 bottom bracket

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

mattlawro

21

1776

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:28 pm

topflightpro View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Colnago Bottom Bracket

in Road

ironman1

6

487

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:47 pm

ianSWBB View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Bottom Bracket issues with my R3 Temperatur???

in Road

ANV

6

362

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:41 pm

mjduct View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Campagnolo bottom bracket cups gap?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

isharamet

26

1084

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:19 pm

em3 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Homemade bottom bracket cup press

in Road

robhall2003

5

971

Wed May 07, 2014 10:18 pm

audiphile View the latest post


It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB