Farsports Tubular Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

I thought I would share my experience with Farsports chinese wheels from Xiamen.

I emailed SMART (customer service person) back and forth a few times, asking for quotes on a few different rims and wheels. I decided on 20mm lightweight tubular (claimed 240 +- 10 g). I ordered them on friday afternoon. Rims were $130 us each $75 shipping. $315 total for 2 rims shipped. They sent me a tracking number for EMS and I followed them to a sorting center in NY. After they got there, the tracking ended. All said and done the rims showed up on Tuesday.

I weighed both of them on a semi accurate kitchen scale. The set weighed in at 482 grams. RIGHT on target. I built them up 20/24 hole with Bikehubstore superlight hubs (79 front 205 rear) which were also right on weight target. Built up with Wheelsmith DB spokes by myself, they weigh in at 1032 grams. Hubs were $105 shipped from Brandon. I was hoping that they would get in under 1000 grams, Maybe I will rebuild with Sapim CX Rays or super spokes at some point.

They come without spoke eyelets but they include plenty of spoke washers. However, I dropped some on the floor and found that washers I had from other wheels were to big to fit in the holes.

I have ridden them a couple times, racing and riding cross. I used Bontrager cork pads and they stop very well considering the UD braking surface with no basalt or anything.

The rims have a very deep V troughs for mounting tires. I found that this allows tires to glue straight much more easily.

Overall very pleased with my experience and excited to put some miles in with road and CX tires. Already considering more carbon rims from them. :mrgreen:
My Bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Which lacing pattern on rear wheel?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Any pics mate?

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

Radial up front and Radial NDS 2 cross DS.
Will post pics probably later today. No Scale pics unfortunately, they are currently glues up with Zipp Tangente 21mm front and vittoria corsa EVO CX 23mm rear.
My Bike:

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

That's a KILLER climbing wheelset for under $500. Well done! I'm thinking of doing a similar build with 38mm tubs for a little better aero.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Funny that I ordered a set of 50mm Carbon Tubulars just a couple weeks ago as well. They arrived to NYC in 8 days after payment. FYI, after my EMS tracking number stopped updating on the EMS site, I plugged the same number into the USPS tracking and it continued to update all the way to my doorstep.

My 50mm tubulars ended up weighing 1207g and they cost about $550 with shipping included. Built up with Bitex hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

Rode them for the first time this morning very briefly so I don't want to make any observations yet until I've put more miles on them but so far they feel good and braking is quite good as well. They're also beautiful. Very nice finish and I can't say enough about the customer service from Bella at Farsports.

Here they are on my build:
Last edited by syncmaster on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

russianbear

by russianbear

How much do you weigh?

I'm looking at a set of these hoops, but at around 85kg I think the 38s might be the smarter choice.

eric

by eric

Syncmaster, which rims were those? Farsports makes more than one 50mm tubular.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

I misspoke, I was talking to Bella (not Smart) at Farsports, and she was great to deal with.

The tubulars I bought from FS were the FSC50-TM 50mm tubular wheels according to my correspondence with Bella.

And my weight is 155lb.

Just got back from a night ride with these and MAN, they are awesome. So much stiffer than my kinlin XR200 wheelset I had built up. They absolutely fly and feel great. Also my first time on tubulars so everything was feeling good.

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

I weigh 145 and I was definitely looking for a light climbing wheelset, although I am using them for cross also. The proposed build weight for these as built from Farsports is claimed 940g but I decided to save a little $$ and build them myself. Pics below. Rode them last weekend with Cross Tubulars and they were awesome. Rode them today on the road with Pictured tires. SOOO FAST! :mrgreen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88115232@N ... otostream/
My Bike:

micky

by micky

Last spring I ordered for a friend who was looking for a pair of carbon wheels at Farsport and so far he has been pleased with them.
I did rode them a couple of times and found them quite good.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Here's a better shot of my new Farsports 50mm tubulars. Image

syncmaster

by syncmaster

deleted

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Good example of their Quality ...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107985

Round is a plus for wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Yep... looks like I got a dud in the rear wheel. Posted my observations in a new thread to get more attention and opinions.

I'll report back what I hear from Bella at Farsports. I should hear tonight as they're 12 hours ahead.