Riding and dogs...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

I crashed yesterday pretty hard when a group of small dogs decided to run around within my team group ride, me hitting on square on. I don't know about policies elsewhere, but in Western North Carolina, does anyone know what sort of legal action could be taken for future reference? I'm alright, no broken bones, just a good bit of road rash, and my bike is mostly ok. Any suggestions? I might have a doctors bill (x-ray for my elbow), and I tore up my new Hincapie school kit, which could be $$$ to replace.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

:hmm: Sue them!
The ruling on Small Dogs Vs. cmdr199212 will set precedence. :laughat:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

Here in Romania, dogs are free on the streets with no owner. So nobody to charge the crash with. Lady Brigitte Bardot took care of us with a law in our Parliament that dog euthanasia is forbidden.
If those dogs have an owner, you can sue him. If not, probably you will do nothing:(

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Unfortunately i dont think you will have much luck :-/

One of my club mates was in collision here in the UK recently with 140lb's of Doberman that was allowed to wander into a main road whilst attached to an extendable leash....
Result? A trip to the hospital in the ambulance with back injuries, and a destroyed Ridley Damocles (dog didnt move to far despite being hit at 30mph+).

Although, the police were called and there were witnesses to what is in essence an RTA, its unlikely he will recover anything from the dozy mare who was "in control" of her beast.

Solicitors aren't interested in damage to 3rd party equipment, they wont make any money out of replacement; its the personal injury that they want as this is what they can get paid for...
Official cafe stop tester

ECT

by ECT

A riding buddy of mine that lives in Davidson County, NC was riding around a curve when a dog ran out in front of him, resulting in minor damage to both his bike and the dog, the owner wanted him to pay the vet bill, he wanted re-reimbursement for his bike, the local authorities didn't care, and long story short, he ended up paying for the damage, and the owner the vet bill.

toko

by toko

Spray some water from your bootle when they try running into your bike,with me works 100% of time.
Il Pirata,come te nessuno mai più !

tommasini

by tommasini

Generally speaking, in the US owners of dogs are required to control them. If the dog creates a public hazard / incident in most cases the dog owner is liable.

Each state/county could treat it a bit different. In general I'd suggest contacting a local law firm....one with no initial consultation fee.....to ask questions and listen well. Take notes and then see what you can do for yourself......since you weren't seriously hurt or the bike destroyed, the attorney fee probably isn't worth it...but you might get somewhere on your own.

That said - was the police contacted promptly?.......it's hard to point blame in a situation like this well after the fact (and I doubt the dogs will admit to their deed)....although it sounds like your club mates could help the cause with their statements....

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

djm

by djm

I was on my MTB today when somebody with a fairly furry, leashless rodent (small lady bag sized dog) let it wander freely and almost under my front wheel. Hate to say it but I think the rodent would have been split in two had it wandered off just a couple of more inches. Some people don't care about their pets.

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

stella-azzurra wrote:Was it anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBD1oLKpQ4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, although I thought I was going to miss it until I lost it in my peripheral vision. We were also going downhill, and I ended up landing on gravel, as well as hitting the thing with no deflection

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Unfortunately unless the dogs intentionally were trying to bite you or you were bitten by them and you could identify the owners you really have nothing to stand on. They could have been sheep, cows, foxes, rabbits, squirrels on the road all the same thing.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

jekyll man wrote:
One of my club mates was in collision here in the UK recently with 140lb's of Doberman that was allowed to wander into a main road whilst attached to an extendable leash....

I'd like to see that 140 lb. doberman. He's an effin monster!

austke

by austke

I think it is just part of the risk/reward of cycling, I have run over a Dingo on my motorbike ( scary at 80km/h), but even if it had an owner, I would'nt sue, I just take it as experience well received.
In Australia people are starting to sue for almost anything, and sadly you are flat out getting better than a luke warm coffee, because the shop owner is too scared of being sued for burning your mouth.
I say "take it on the chin, get back on your bike and go for a ride."
Oh and yeh, sorry to hear about your accident, they do suck eggs (hurt :( )
I think in as little as a few weeks, you'll be loving the beautiful outdoors on your bicycle again, and all will be great :D
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

artray

by artray

When I was a cycle courier I managed to knock over a blind lady who steps out into the road in front of me. :unbelievable:
I went flying smashed up part of my bike ,ripped my Gortex jacket just ruined my whole vibe . The lady was fine just a few scrapes . How was I supposed to sue a blind lady for my bike repair and torn expensive clothes. It didn't seem right. When I picked myself up and went over to see if she was ok she shouted at me " IM BLIND" like it was my fault . I still don't know why on earth she would just step out into traffic on a busy busy road [ nearly said without looking] .That Blind lady cost me quite a bit of cash I should have sued her. Sue the Fu%king dogs if you can

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

stella-azzurra wrote:
jekyll man wrote:

I'd like to see that 140 lb. doberman. He's an effin monster!

It might have been a rottweiler; they're all the same to me.

First sight and i'm outta here!! :smartass:
Official cafe stop tester