SRAM Red lever tune...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

artray wrote:
fastvegan wrote:Very cool, most 17 y/o's where I live are playing video games and smoking weed. Glad to see such a cool tune from such a young gent. Keep it up!

Thats a bit of a generalization about 17 y/o's.

Generalisation, yes. False, no. I see it happening ;)
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

lever dremelling completed, i'm happy with the brake lever (went from 22 something to 13 something grams) and the shift lever still has a wee bit of work to do (i'm not happy with the aesthetics yet, of the top cut out mainly) and i only saved 4 grams doing it so ill try squeeze another one out. I also removed the brake lever reach adjustment (2.2 gram) as i ran the lever all the way out and after 20,000km of it like that, i don't think ill change it anytime soon...

Does anyone know the savings of going to BTP clamps and hoods per lever? Im tossing up experimenting with other hood options (self made) but i think it will be damn near impossible...

Anyway heres a pic of the up date so far...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Make your own carbon clamps man, I'm sure you and Theremery could figure them out. Probably cheaper too. There are people on here that make their own hoods - search for heat shrink hoods, here is one result http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98501&p=836336&hilit=heat+shrink+hoods#p836336

odin99

by odin99

that's the nicest tuning of the carbon levers part i've seen. well done. wasn't there a guy on here who drilled out some of the plastic from the base part?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

@odin99, i do recal that, i'm skeptical of doing anything that looks strong. for now i haven't touched it, i may do a little of the triangle bit that covers the internal mechanism later on. I dont see a significant weight saving here...

@dereksmalls, guess im going to arts and crafts shops tomorrow... adhesive felt is bloody brilliant.

I swore though bar clamps are one of the things i wont attempt, and i think for now ill stick by it, if i was doing a super weenie build which one day will happen, ill just build a lever body straight onto the bar, carbon it straight on and not have the need for a clamp.

Just before i built a shift lever bumper, weighs 0.02gm :D and installed it in like so... (see the bridge between the brake lever edges?

and here is my final lever dremelling (excluding the body as i will do some) note; the upper hole on the shift lever is now bigger and looks better in my opinion.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

weeracerweenie wrote:@dereksmalls, guess im going to arts and crafts shops tomorrow... adhesive felt is bloody brilliant.

What about self adhesive eva?
r o y g b i v

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

What's that? Never heard of it?

bura

by bura

Good job WRW. Well done.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

BobSantini

by BobSantini

weeracerweenie wrote:What's that? Never heard of it?

EVA is that soft foam used for surfboard foot grip. It's used for lots of other things including the padding for the soles of sporty shoes and hand padding on walking sticks. It's very light. I know you can get self adhesive types but I don't know about thickness.
In Aus you get from places like Clark Rubber.
r o y g b i v

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

@BobSantini your on the wrong side of the ditch mate ;) I'll check it out. I'm off shopping with mummy tomorrow to find some adhesive felt but if thatturns up no results I'll have a look at some boat or surf shops!

I'm after some BTP clamps? Anyone got some lying around?

Any pic requests or comments about the build so far?

artray

by artray

Put some aero 303 on them .they will look better and it will give them some UVA protection . You could try the BTP sight for shifter clamps .Im not so sure if they are so easy get now . My BTP's weigh 10grms the pair . The sticky felt is a pain in the arse to get off when it gets worn . I tried a few things but in the end I stuck with normal hoods . BTP do some light carbon hoods but they only last around 6 months. I made hoods just using lycra that stretched fit . They looked great but did not work to well i.e. rain sweat etc etc.

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

Beautiful job.

Have you ridden them yet? Any problems?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I'll give it a splash of clear coat to protect it for UV. Considering the original clamps are 15gm per lever the weight saving of going BTP is to good to miss guess ill have to fork out for them...

I haven't ridden them yet, I've only done one and I'm experimenting with hoods as we speak. I'll ride them with the original clamps until the BTPs arrive. Final weights will be with the BTP clamps though..

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

ADHESIVE FELT! @dereksmalls you legend! this stuff is brilliant!!!

First go at it to get a pattern for my repeats and BOOM they look awesome. this photo doesn't do it justice!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Dude, Elmo called, he wants his fur back! :D

I thought you would have gone for black like the rest of your bike?
So will this get covered, shaved down or stay fluffy?