Campag SR Bottom Bracket (bearings)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Simonhi

by Simonhi

So, I have a rather annoying squeak emanating from my bottom bracket, it went away for a while but has now returned with a vengeance when I ever I any torque into the cranks (climbing steep hills).

I have a spare set of bearings and also the tool for removing and replacing them bearings but before I do is there anything I can do to remediate the problem of squeaky ceramic bearings ?

The bearings were part of the groupset bought new in 2011 and probably has 3000kms on it. Is this the expected life of the bearings or is there somehting I can do to get rid of the infernal squeaking noise ?

I have been given all sorts of information from lubing the bearings to using graphite dust (sanded down from a pencil) to make things a bit quieter.

I'm planning a long day in the saddle on the weekend and can't bear another 6-8 hours of squeaking !!!

All help / advice gratefully received.

Cheers :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I just serviced my sr bearings 2 wks ago. Past due... I have about 16k miles and I believe service is recommended annually. Anyway mine were more of a creaking noise on steep climbs.
Just pull the cranks and I used a squirt of triflow, blew it out with compressed air, another squirt in each bearing and put it back together. Perfectly simple. And all is quiet.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Hi,

What is triflow ?

Thanks,

Simon.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

What makes you so sure it's caused by the bearings?
It may be just some dirt/sand that got stuck somewhere so before actually replacing the bearings (they're made to last like forever) I'd first check and clean the entire crank installation, spray the bearings clean and relube them while I am at it.

Triflow is a synthetic fine oil charged with friction reducing additives. A sewing machine standard fine oil should do nicely. The lube is only there to quieten down the sound of the bearings which a lot of frames tend to amplify somewhat.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

LionelB

by LionelB

What type of frame and bottom bracket size are you using ? Regular BSC ?

Simonhi

by Simonhi

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

What makes you so sure it's caused by the bearings?
It may be just some dirt/sand that got stuck somewhere so before actually replacing the bearings (they're made to last like forever) I'd first check and clean the entire crank installation, spray the bearings clean and relube them while I am at it.

Triflow is a synthetic fine oil charged with friction reducing additives. A sewing machine standard fine oil should do nicely. The lube is only there to quieten down the sound of the bearings which a lot of frames tend to amplify somewhat.

Ciao, ;)

I'm fairly certain the noise is emanating from the bearing, it is definite squeak as opposed to a creack that is quite often found due to badly installed / dirty bearing cups.

Would it be ok to use GT85 to clean / lube the bearings. It is a thin lubricant with PTFE additive.

LionelB wrote:What type of frame and bottom bracket size are you using ? Regular BSC ?

Frame is an Enigma Echo (Ti) BB is English thread (68mm?)

kac

by kac

Simonhi wrote:Hi,

What is triflow ?

Thanks,

Simon.

Triflow is a brand of lubricant. It's available at just about any bike or hardware store. It's cheap and doesn't gum up.

KAC

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Would it be ok to use GT85 to clean / lube the bearings. It is a thin lubricant with PTFE additive.

Sure.
The oil Campa is using is standard lube class LU2116, Triflow adheres to this standard but I don't know of any others. I know wher to find it on the continent, no idea who sells it in the UK though. As said before it is not crucial at all.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

MAB

by MAB

Is it the bearings or is it the cups? If the cups look polished or show some wear, change them. I have a few bike with UT chainset and some seem more susceptible than others to this feature

Simonhi

by Simonhi

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Sure.
The oil Campa is using is standard lube class LU2116, ... clipped ...

Ciao, ;)

Thanks FDE, it's handy to know :mrgreen:

MAB wrote:Is it the bearings or is it the cups? If the cups look polished or show some wear, change them. I have a few bike with UT chainset and some seem more susceptible than others to this feature

I'll check this out also, thanks :thumbup:

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Update ...

So, it turns out the bearings were shot on the drive side.

Pulled bearing off drive side axle to clean and inspect, very gravelly feeling, not smooth. I guess maybe at some stage one of the bearings in the race got scored / stopped rolling somehow.

Pressed the new set in both sides and went for a spin, definitely the bearing(s).

I'm gonna accept this as bad luck because I don't want to be buying new Campagnolo ceramic bearings at £120.00 a pop every 3,500km.

Another first, pulling and replacing bearings.

It should make tomorrows ride a ton more enjoyable, and maybe easier !!!

shillc

by shillc

3,500 km?
That sounds just about right, in my experience. Maybe less with inclement weather riding.
I think pulling them off and adding a coat of a good grease may help.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Maybe I need to pull them apart more often to clean through ???

It seems that if the bearing was not faulty maybe a small piece of grit / dirt got in the there and affected the smooth operation I was used to up to about 3000km ?

Either way I think I will have a trouble free ride tomorrow, unless I catch a flat !!!

tommasini

by tommasini

shillc wrote:3,500 km?
That sounds just about right, in my experience. Maybe less with inclement weather riding.
I think pulling them off and adding a coat of a good grease may help.

While grease could be used....save it for steel bearings (Record level and below) that really need it.....as the SR's are intended to be oiled.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Any specific oil ?

I'm thinking GT85 with PTFE (Teflon) to flush through every now and then.

Cheers :thumbup:

Si.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com