Wilier Cento1 SL Build - Now 6.14kg 5/8/13

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

Imaking20 wrote:...still no bars or stem though - paid for them on August 24th :evil:

you need a better supplier - have you tried Merlin?
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Spindoctor wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:kgt: my response about the weave was intentionally vague as I am not familier with their exact technique. Your response doesn't seem to directly answer the original question either though. I've read that it's woven into the external layer which adds the visual effect but also supposed to offer a bit of vibration damping... is this to mean it IS a cosmetic layer and there's (presumably) UD carbon underneath or ?? :noidea:

No its the real weave - it is different again on the Zero 7, which uses gas entrained carbon to reduce the voids and increase stength

Thank you!

I haven't tried Merlin but perhaps I should.

Here's a crappy picture of the bike coming together - I'm pretty sure the wheel graphics need to disappear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That would have been quite unique! :!:

Nah, I'm a big fan of the performance of this new Red group.

...I am surprised it took two pages for that comment though :wink:

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

cl9k24la wrote:Should've went Campagnolo.

like this you mean? this is the SLR team bike version

Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

1spd

by 1spd

To each his own as far as the group set is concerned (Campy fan here myself). I tried red a couple of years ago on a Blue but just couldn't get used to the shifting of it and felt like I was always having to adjust it. It was nice and light though! Build looks good and is coming together quite well. I agree, ditch the rim decals.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

kgt

by kgt

[quote="Imaking20"]Here's a crappy picture of the bike coming together - I'm pretty sure the wheel graphics need to disappear.
100%

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Spindoctor - your bike is always nice to salivate over.

Wheels are now 37 grams lighter.

As far as SRAM vs Campy; my entire experience on Campy is about 2 minutes aboard a 10 year old Litespeed with a Chorus gruppo. I'm certain at some point in the future I'll fit a bike with Campy but right now that isn't really in the cards. As I said in the first post - one of my higher priorities was parts compatability between the bikes in case of race injury (to the bike, of course). I've got RED on 2 bikes and Force on another.

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

Imaking20 wrote:Spindoctor - your bike is always nice to salivate over.

Wheels are now 37 grams lighter.

37 grams - what heavy stickers! i have chosen between alternative parts on that weight difference :)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

They are definitely heavy but appear to be great quality - and they came off easy as butter. I may actually end up replacing them with something less... loud.

At any rate, these wheels are one of those things that I just REALLY wanted to try and was more fascinated with the technology than the weight. I see myself needing a pair of weenie wheels over the next few months though...

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Bike is assembled and rides fantastic... I was a little nervous since this is my first attempt at a full build :mrgreen:

I hesitate to say the bike is complete because I'm still hunting for a different saddle, I'll need a longer stem maybe with more drop as well), Arundel Mandible cages, some Ti hardware, and maybe a woodman clamp... perhaps even a 1000g wheelset over the winter.

Anywho, enjoy - or hate it since it doesn't have Campy :)

kgt

by kgt

Looks much better than I expected :thumbup:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Ha, thanks! I'm not thrilled about the silver but it all works SO well that it more than justifies itself to me. I'll definitely find a way to quiet down the look of the chain rings (not really thinking about praxis any more as I doubt the significance in performance increase over these rings and $160 to drop 18 grams doesn't interest me). I really wish the calipers were black but it's nice how easily they work with the ~27mm brake track and they have plenty of power.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Great looking bike despite it's not campy equipped. Good call to remove the wheel decals as well.
Enjoy your ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Perfect :thumbup:! It makes me miss my 2011 team bike (a Cento1 with Sram Red :thumbup: http://shrani.si/f/x/5s/3fcwfI73/1/6344 ... poslo2.jpg )