THM Clavicula and Press fit BB30

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

logy

by logy

Anyone out there tried this combo? I am thinking of fitting to Super 6 Evo and don't like the look of the BB, it has very small flanges and the amount in the frame is minimal. Does it damage the frame on install? Is it worth the hassle over SRAM red BB30??

Cheers

L

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

by your description, i think youre looking at the "shimano pressfit" bearing set from thm. the PF30 bottom bracket for the clavicula is just like the bb30, just with a larger diameter center section. on the THM website, it says "(without picture / similar to BB30 bearings)"
http://www.thm-carbones.de/accessories-115.html
hope that helps

edit: i would personally use SiSL cranks, or SWorks cranks if i were on a "budget"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

logy

by logy

I was looking at the correct set - just seems the amount pressed into the frame, ie about 3mm is tiny...

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

You are absolutely correct, it is tiny but it does not present a problem on the frames (our) we have used it on, including some rather pedestrian Toray fibered prototypes. I would assume though that there could be a problem with some hi-mod more brittle bb shells.

Our engineer has brought this up with Thomas Mertin who is adamant that his solution works better than inboard bearings. The THM cups do run A LOT freer than the standard Sram inboard Pf bearings, and also a bit better than the ceramic pf bearings we have tried - if you are into that sort of thing..

The SiSl cranks are also very, very good, but I can't help to feel they are a bit let down by the standard SRAM bearings. I just like the feeling of a free spinning crank, don't know if the drag is enough to make any real world pedaling/propulsion difference though.

Costwise in Europe the Cannondale cranks with are pretty much up there with the THM M3s.
rolobikes

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

thisisatest wrote:by your description, i think youre looking at the "shimano pressfit" bearing set from thm. the PF30 bottom bracket for the clavicula is just like the bb30, just with a larger diameter center section. on the THM website, it says "(without picture / similar to BB30 bearings)"
http://www.thm-carbones.de/accessories-115.html
hope that helps

edit: i would personally use SiSL cranks, or SWorks cranks if i were on a "budget"

If he's asking after THM cranks then the word "budget" isn't worth mentioning

I have a a set of THM M3s fitted to my BB30 frame using THMs BB30 solution.

It's pretty darn good.

The out board BB system the cranks use feels quite a bit stiffer than campags BB30 system

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

By your original question you mean using the bearings on the frame (like BB30 or PF30) instead of THMs BB that has cups on the outside of the frame?
It's posible as long as the frame is wide enough to acomodate the bearings in the correct position on the Clavicula's axle.
Contrary to other 30 mm universal axle cranks like the Tune Smart Foot, which you can adpat to various BB dimensions....the Clavicula has very specific alloy areas were the bearing will spin as the axle is carbon.

LionelB

by LionelB

bringing up this old post as I am curious to hear any more feedback on users of Clavicula PF30 BB. How is that combo working out for you and what frame are you using it with ?

coppercook62

by coppercook62

I have it on my Crumpton SL and haven't had any problems with it.

serbelo

by serbelo

Using it on my Parlee z3 no problem with creaking.
Cervelo R2.5
Cervelo P2c
Cervelo R3
Parlee Z3
Parlee TT

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

are u sure u have the pf30 bb for the clav? mine is huge!
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal