"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

artray

by artray

stella-azzurra wrote:Armstrong was not riding it then.

It was Floyds year :oops: . They may as well have let them ride the way things turned out
Just realised I was at the tour that year. I saw a couple of stages. I was at the stage where it looked like Landis blew it . When we left France he was down and out. We did not get back home till late the following day. I watched the highlights and could not believe what Landis had done.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

"Does this TT position make my ass look fat?"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

stella-azzurra wrote:Same issue here. My rib cage is larger than normal. Usually found in mesomorphs

Somatotypes are huge pile of crap. About as reliable as phrenology.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Hey, don't knock Phrenology. It was a ridiculously great album.

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

artray wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:Armstrong was not riding it then.

It was Floyds year :oops: . They may as well have let them ride the way things turned out
Just realised I was at the tour that year. I saw a couple of stages. I was at the stage where it looked like Landis blew it . When we left France he was down and out. We did not get back home till late the following day. I watched the highlights and could not believe what Landis had done.

Kinda like leaving the stadium right before your team pulls off a miracle win. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Tapeworm wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:Same issue here. My rib cage is larger than normal. Usually found in mesomorphs

Somatotypes are huge pile of crap. About as reliable as phrenology.

Which one of these dudes are you? or you can draw one.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Oh boy

Moser: Nibali is only a good rider, not a champion

“He made a couple of little attacks and then he stopped… Not much for the strongest to be worried about,” Moser said of Nibali’s showing in July. “Nibali is only a good rider, not a champion. You need a lot more to merit that title. He tries and he tries, but he’s always lacking something.”

“Lucky for him. In my time, riders were stronger and earned less. People are getting excited about very little because they have very little to get excited about,”

“Unfortunately, we have too many so-so riders and no element of leadership, so our rivals dominate and win,” Moser said. “I don’t feel I can criticise [Italian coach] Paolo Bettini, because the material at his disposition was scarce. Unfortunately, there are no Mosers or Bettinis out there anymore.”

“You have to wait a couple of years before saying whether he (Francesco's nephew, Moreno Moser) will become a great rider,” Moser said. “But I am happy to see another Moser among the protagonists of the peloton.”

All the ex-pros say at one time or another that during their time the riders were stronger. Today's pros are all wimps!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Coppi might be able to genuinely claim it

ultyguy

by ultyguy

majklnajt wrote:I wonder if all of those favourites were using the weight/height formula... 0,36-0,38 kg/cm

I was chatting with the great Hennie Kuiper this summer and we were talking about the ridiculous levels of skinniness these days. He said that in his day the general calculation was

(height in cm) - 100 = body weight in kgs

For example, he was 172cm and 72 kgs and I think we can obviously say he was pretty competitive in his day.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

stella-azzurra wrote:Oh boy

All the ex-pros say at one time or another that during their time the riders were stronger. Today's pros are all wimps!

This bit made me chuckle:

Unfortunately, there are no Mosers or Bettinis out there anymore.

Errr, there is a Moser out there.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

ave

by ave

Moser basically said bring back the dope. (Riders will be strong enough for him then, I guess)
Yes, Nibali only won a Vuelta so far. But he is not finished yet.

Antoine

by Antoine

or fortunately there are no F.Moser or Bettini anymore ...

GT56

by GT56

MattSoutherden wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:Oh boy

This bit made me chuckle:

Unfortunately, there are no Mosers or Bettinis out there anymore.

Errr, there is a Moser out there.

Moser Francesco meant to say there is no rider like him, the champion, the rider displaying heroic rides, pulling and pushing through when attacking.

The point is, that the number of riders on the highest level these days is far greater than in his days. In his days the pro peloton was mainly made up of riders from the 'old' world without Eastern europe, with the occasional Brit, American, Irishman, and Aussie

So in his days it was maybe 5 in Moser's class, and if on one particular day one of those 5 had a super day, he was able to distance the others

These days you've got 20 or 25 top class riders and if then 5 have their super day, it gets far more difficult to set up something 'heroic'

Franklin

by Franklin

I'd say Tom Boonen fits the heroic attacking champion mold quite nicely. :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com