Lightest Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lights_wod

by lights_wod

djconnel wrote:
andy2 wrote:I count myself fortunate to own both a SPIN and a Parlee Z1, maybe one day if we are successful I will be able to buy a Crumpton...
We feel we do the very best frames and so does all these other guys, and rightly so!

/a

Okay -- I get a SPIN, Z0, Crumpton, one of your impressive frames, and I still have my 2008 Fuji SL/1. I put the same components and parts on all of them. I weigh 57 kg. I have custom geometry on the customs, but the contact points are the same. Maybe the trail's a bit long on the Fuji, but I can deal with that, and for some descents it's even nice. The Fuji's 860 grams frame + 360 grams fork but the others are 720 + 310. The difference is the same as the difference whether my bottle is full or half full. I weigh 57 kg, so the weight difference total is less than 0.2%, no more than 6 seconds per hour of steep climbing. I can sustain maybe 350 watts over short climbs, so I don't flex the Fuji in any noticeable fashion, especially with its small main triangle.

Am I glad I got these high-end frames?

I weight 7 kg less than you

And I assure you that I notice much weight of only 200 gr sales

competition weight is very important for that need to do more Watts to go as I climb
I am very curious for a lightweight ultra frame
IAGO.lights_wod

donald

by donald

In five years now, I think I have around 20,000 miles on my Rue. I expect it to last a very long time, unless I have a bad crash or something. It's not my only bike but I ride it quite often.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

Dj, other than weight, stiffness etc here is how I feel you can improve your riding experience: Correct Trail.
As a light rider on a light bike you are doubly and triply punished by too much trail.
Not only will your bike tend to weave at slow speeds (climbing) you will also find it harder to correct your line through turns at higher speeds (going down). Also since the trail acts as a lever on the front wheel the bike will be much more sensitive to side winds. So to sum up, too much trail increases wheel flop and makes the bike unstable at slow speed and understeered at high speed thus making for a dull unresponsive ride.
/a
rolobikes

Dominvs

by Dominvs

Hello. I don't know if you have heard of "new" Textreme carbon fabric. It's announced as lighter at same rigidity levels than traditional blends as it requires less epoxy to be used, increasing carbon fiber proportion.

What do you think about it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/textreme/7635881286/

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

Our engineer is at the Textreme Days conference right now actually :beerchug:
Textreme/Oxeon are 'local' to us, good stuff. Used in aerospace, auto and sports equipment.
The trick is to work closely with any supplier to get exactly the carbon/resin matrix that you want.

/a
rolobikes

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Using the "sweat during a ride" line.

Tisk tisk Dj.

I expected better from you :lol:

bura

by bura

Dominvs wrote:Hello. I don't know if you have heard of "new" Textreme carbon fabric. It's announced as lighter at same rigidity levels than traditional blends as it requires less epoxy to be used, increasing carbon fiber proportion.

What do you think about it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/textreme/7635881286/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is in the news dd 07th August 2012
http://www.reinforcedplastics.com/view/ ... bre-wheel/
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I´ve used Textreme in various tastes during this year, I can say it´s harder to work with compared to UD, twill and woven carbon fibre.

In saddles complicated shaped is NOT fun to handle, but with a shape like Antares, much less possibility to wrinkle and so on , the problem is the 24K weave is glued onto each other perpendicular strand so it stays there in all conditions even if you want to it form after your mould, but I´ve found a way to do it with nearly zero percent wrinkles.

So a frame, it will be hard to use Textreme in all places but in the tubes, yes, in the junctions, probably not right now without right guidance.

Bear in mind, I have no professional education to handle these stuff so my words is not written in stone.
Experimental Prototype

durianrider

by durianrider

Giant say they have the lightest and stiffest frames..

http://winwithgiant.com/
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

spytech

by spytech

durianrider wrote:Giant say they have the lightest and stiffest frames..

http://winwithgiant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats a Giant LIE!!!

i am following this post... would like to hear more from nick and others on their break down difference between different building techniques.

CBRE

by CBRE

durianrider wrote:Giant say they have the lightest and stiffest frames..

http://winwithgiant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In that they are saying "with seat post" which can through in a lot of variables for example my 52cm Evo frame with no BB is 720g, fork 290g and seat post 110 grams for a total of 1120g, now if i had my stock seat post it would be 1250g total.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

How in the earth you can get a seatpost with a comparable quality of a high end giant frame at 250 grams, I would be searching HARD to get a such one.

Talking about to adjusting the table to their favor.
They lost me here.

100-150 grams is a NORMAL seatpost in same level as a TCR advanced, they lost me here, never ever buy a Giant product more.
Experimental Prototype

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

they add a 250(!) gram post to other frames to "normalise' the weights, but on their ISP the do NOT include the weight of the ISP head! their "test" is by far the most phony ive ever seen.

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

My favourite bit is when at 4:46 while talking about the head tube stiffness test he goes into detail how the ISP stiffens up the steering response..,.. -'As you can see by integrating the ISP into the entire structure (sic!) we tremendeously increase the torsional stiffness'-
This has to be the Spinal Tap of bike infomercials:-)!
rolobikes

djconnel

by djconnel

Tinea Pedis wrote:Using the "sweat during a ride" line.

Tisk tisk Dj.

I expected better from you :lol:

:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com