Which carbon clincher wheelset has the best brake track?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tmanley

by tmanley

I'm probably crazy to dip my toes back into the world of carbon clinchers after my last experience (see the details here, http://themanleyreport.blogspot.com/2009/10/levis-granfondo-carbon-clincher-failure.html), but it's worth exploring again. On the side, Edge/Enve took care of me and their customer service was top notch.

I have read up on many recent posts (yes, the search feature is great and is my first go-to place for finding information before asking questions), but I didn't see anything specifically focused on the best carbon brake track technology in recent posts. Lots of manufacturers have brought new stuff to market in the past 6-12 months, thus my query into finding wheelset bliss.

Since it's been 3 years since my past wheel failure I'm interested to get real-world feedback on what's out there and what does and doesn't seem to work for heavier riders (~200 pounds). I've heard great things about the new Zipp layup and even a few positive comments that the Campy Hyperons might be worthwhile to check out. But what about the Mad Fibers and LW's?

In terms of importance, I'm not concerned about cost, so let's just throw that factor out the window. However, here's my ranked priority of what I need to know:
    1. Brake track/heat dissipation capabilities
    2. Weight
    3. Aero

These wouldn't be used for racing (I've got some tubulars for these rides), just some nice bling to add to the bike.

-Thanks, Todd

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

http://www.roadbike.de/test/parts/8-car ... htm?skip=2

use google chrome browser for auto-translation...
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

pletharoe

by pletharoe

Edco have an unusual approach to carbon clinchers. The Competition range has a ceramic braking surface.
http://edco.ch/bicycle-components/wheel ... tml?pid=74

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Edco is nice, but heavy for the size.

Xentis has the same aero qualities of older ZIPP (pre-FC era), light (relatively), great braking.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Is Edco doing something similar as Fuertebici with the ceramic coating, (before Fuerte ran into problems)?

bura

by bura

spartan wrote:http://www.roadbike.de/test/parts/8-carbon-clincher-laufraeder-im-labor-und-praxistest.658800.9.htm?skip=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

use google chrome browser for auto-translation...

And again we have to hope that it is coincidence that the Austrian Xentis has by far the "best" dry braking tested at the FH Vienna/Austria.
And we have to ask why these guys do not test some Gigantex or Hong-Fu wheels together with some elite over priced wheelsets?
Afraid of what?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

i'm 95kgs and i'm riding with campag bullet ultra's (50mm) which are clinchers with an alloy brake track.

the braking is without doubt the best i have ever had on any road bike... i'm not sure how much is down to the brake track and how much is down to the campag dual pivot callipers (front and rear), but the braking knocks spots of my previous shimano dual-pivot on shimano rim combo, planet x forged on shimano rim combo and sram dual pivot on planet x combo.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

bura wrote:Afraid of what?

Of having to pay for the wheels themselves, instead of provided for free?

bura

by bura

wassertreter wrote:
bura wrote:Afraid of what?

Of having to pay for the wheels themselves, instead of provided for free?

:thumbup:
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I have clincher sets here frame most listed (I ain't riding no-name Chinese product) and I don't see anything on the market with a better track that Zipp.

It's certainly not from the couple of companies that use a coating, it's not from anyone that machines their carbon track and its not from a company that uses the same composite as the rest of the rim... Zipp have a different composite and a different resin mix and i dont believe anyone else reaches theyr blow off/ deflection temp and resistance to getting to that temp.

That said, several carb clinchers are very good now AND there are other things to look at in combination with braking tech for some very nice alternative selections, but right now Zipp have the best brake track build IMO...

12x23

by 12x23

I have first generation Zipp 202's, a pr of 404 tubies from 2005, and just bought a pr. of 404 Firecrest tubiess with a G3 Powertap. Also have a pr. of Reynolds DV46 clinchers with a Powertap that are four years old and with about 19,000 miles.

The best braking is with the Firecrests. Rode Six Gap yesterday with these, first ride on them too, and they were outstanding! I am very impressed with the performance of these wheels but that's a whole 'nother story.

I've had good luck with all of the above. The Reynolds are showing minimal wear on the brake tracks, but dang, they've been ridden the most and in the worst weather. I've just always used the recommended pads, now using Swisstop Yellow and Zipp grey with the new wheels, although they sure resemble the Swisstops in all but color. I see the "yellows" are on Zipp's approved list of pads for Firecrest.

Lots of steep up and down around here, too, so they get worked to extreme. And, other than only one ride with the Firescrest and Red brake calipers, the others have been used with everything from Zero-Gravity to 7800, 7900, Record 10, Super Record 11 calipers. I just always use the correct pads and brake as little as possible when descending. (If I'm gonna work that hard climbing I intend to have my reward going downhill .. ;-) ).

tmanley

by tmanley

I finally had the opportunity to see a pair of 303 FC clinchers firsthand and the brake track design seems pretty stout. From what I could tell it looked like Zipp put some real thought behind their design.

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

The majority of carbon rim failures while riding are caused by people who don't know how to ride carbon wheels. Ride em like the P.R.O's! Of course if you continue to drag your brakes down a hill you're going to create more friction and heat. This combined with the wrong pad combo will result in disaster. Swiss stop(black prince) and soon R******'s will all have newer compounds to try to dissipate heat quicker to compensate for stupid riders who want to look cool with carbon wheels.

just my 2 cents

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Timebandit.. you may be right in some cases but i know of plenty of "pro's" who have had failures from carbon wheels.. they just get to swap them out.. whereas regular people are stuck with a warped rim... its easy to say blah blah pro but like i say equipment fails it fails. even for the pro's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

All of the rims in the SMART Enve series have a brake track that is cut with a bit more of a rough texture than other CCs. This makes them quite a bit more grabby than other options. Additionally, the wider profile of the rim seems to help with heat dissipation on those longer descents.