New crank from Praxis Works

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

Do the majority of people who ride performance bicycles put out enough power to need that extra stiffness? I still think the 24mm platform is still the easiest to service and is stiff enough.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Seriously how much can a rider actually deflect a 24mm spindle compared to a 30mm cranlk spindle. I do not believe that any can really wind the crank arms much if any at all. As for lateral deflection well even on my old 1055 crank arms I do not feel much deflection when pedaling. There will be some but how much energy does it really rob.

24mm spindles make sence at the cost of reduced bearing life compared to square taper but 30mm spindles only make sence in weight reduction terms which is a fine enough reason by itself. To claim stiffer is somehow better when for most (if not all) 24mm spindles are more than stiff enough is pointless. 50mm spindles are just taking it too far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dolophonic

by dolophonic

im amazed how popular Praxis chainrings have been, especially on this board.
Praxis look dated with the black /silver look remind me of old SRAM rings.

I use Stronglight CT2 and like them a lot. Praxis look dated with the black /silver look remind me of old SRAM rings.

Also i noticed that the Cannondale SISL cranks were not included in that test JD, they are supposed to be some of the stiffest AND lightest.

djconnel

by djconnel

If they shift well, who cares? :)

I worry about the weight, however.

elviento

by elviento

It's not so much a matter of "power" but more a matter of "force" for mashers. Plus every bit of extra stiffness is "nice to have anyway".

Another benefit of a larger spindle is the possibility of combining the crankarm and spindle into one piece which is not only light but also eliminates the bonding between different pieces (and different materials), which is super cool.

Timebandit415 wrote:Do the majority of people who ride performance bicycles put out enough power to need that extra stiffness? I still think the 24mm platform is still the easiest to service and is stiff enough.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

redhed18

by redhed18

dolophonic wrote: Praxis look dated with the black /silver look remind me of old SRAM rings.

You know they're available in multiple designs and finishes right?

Compact - Clover style: Black, Black/Silver, Orange/Silver
Standard - Clover style: Black
Standard - Classic style: Black

I personally don't like the Black/Silver either, but it's not the only choice
http://praxiscycles.com/pages/chainrings

Burgunder

by Burgunder

To bad they never released the cranks.

mjduct

by mjduct