Surpise stem weight

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

I have started upgrading my Speciliazed Rockhopper Comp 2011.

I just picked up my 70mm X4 Thomson stem and 30.9mm Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost today from the shop.

Before I fitted them I did the obligatory weighing and the seatpost weight saving was as expected, OE post 315g, Thomson post 190g.

However, the surprise was the stem, the OE stem was 140g against the Thomson stem at 152g...........erm, a weight gain then ! lol

The OE Specialized stem did seem pretty thin and flimsy compared with the Thomson one though, so I am happy to have the new stronger Thomson stem on there now.

Has anyone else bought something expecting it to be lighter than the OE parts only to find its not ?
Aim : to get a 12.2kg Rockhopper down in the 10's !!

My sloooow weight loss project!

Colin

by Colin

Yeah, Thomson stems are far from light. Also the only stem I've ever seen break.
I bought a carbon handlebar a while back that ended up only saving 2g..It was an expensive 2g!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

Thomson stems are fu%king heavy :thumbup:

02GF74

by 02GF74

not necessarily OEM but had bought a 2 speed BB30 FSA SLK chainset expecting it to be lighter than a 3 speed FSA K-force BB30 chainset which it ain't :(

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Some stems are unexpectedly light, the generic forged/CNC stem sold by superstar/bikehut and others is about 130g in 80mm length.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Bradley

by Bradley

I find Carbon products are worst for this.People tend to make the assumption that because it's Carbon fibre it's lighter than Aluminium or Magnesium alternatives,which in quite a suprising amount of cases is not the case always check the weights before hand.

Another thing people tend to do is assume Titanium is lighter than Aluminium because it's more expensive.

In your case I could definately deal with the slight increase knowing of a better quality part is fitted.

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

Yeh , when bashing through forest trails, its good to know there is a solid bike underneath you.

Hence why I don't mind a slight weight increase. I imagine when I upgrade the pedals to some decent flats, I will gain a bit of weight too. Doesn't bother me too much, biggest weight loss will be when I upgrade the rims and go tubeless which hopefully be early next year when fund allow.

Bradley

by Bradley

As for Flats,I've been running these for a couple of years and for 300g they are pretty light too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wellgo-MG1-MG ... 2302f7a6f1

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

Thanks Bradley, I will bear them in mind

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

Today I changed the red Enduro grips to black SIP grips and saved 10g........not bad for £14.50 and I have almost made back the 12g I gained with the thomson stem ! lol