60cm CDale Supersix--13.71 lbs how low can I go!?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sandico

by sandico

Sorry to cross post--moderator moved this to Gallery but I actually had some questions at the end:

Specs:

60cm frame and matching fork
Full 2013 SRAM red shifters/der (the newest stuff)
Honkin FD clamp (LBS special and has gotta go)
Hollow tech cranks/factory rings
Speedplay X1 pedals BTP tuned
Bonty xxx lite carbon tubulars
Continental Sprinter tubular tires
Zero G brakes
KMC X10 SL chain
Token cassette
Selle Italia SLR saddle
FSA K Force seat post
Apparently OEM seat post clamp
Easton EC90SL bars (interestingly these do not appear to be carbon, but they clearly say EC90 which I thought the "C" always meant carbon?)
FSA OS99 stem
Ascent cages
random cables
Nashbar carbon look bar tape
Carbon look end caps
Grease
Air

I am ordering a carbon FD clamp. I suspect any minor weight gains from swapping FD clamp will be offset by adding a comp., which I need to do.

I thought seatpost and bars were supicious but on review I think they are fairly light and replacing likely would not shave more than 10-20 grams.

Questions:

Anything else obvious here to shave more grams?

Also what's a good, simple, and light comp. to consider? I had flight deck on prior bike but obviously need something new for SRAM.

Thanks!
Attachments
Cdale Bike (Large).jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SDP

by SDP

Honkin FD clamp (LBS special and has gotta go) yes
Hollow tech cranks/factory rings strnglight ct2 rings
Bonty xxx lite carbon tubulars?
Zero G brakes
KMC X10 SL chain
Token cassette
Selle Italia SLR saddle
FSA K Force seat post
Easton EC90SL bars (interestingly these do not appear to be carbon, but they clearly say EC90 which I thought the "C" always meant carbon?) zipp bars?
FSA OS99 stem
Ascent cages
random cables iLink/mini Ilink
Nashbar carbon look bar tape lizard skins race
Carbon look end caps
Grease
Air

Mackers

by Mackers

You can easily save ~100 grams when the time comes to change tubies.

sandico

by sandico

Can you swag some guesses on cost/weight savings for the chainrings, cables, lizard skin tape, and tubulars?

I did research Listings and saw Vittoria Crono Evo CS but reviews seemed sketch. I ride mostly on nice surfaces but sure hate the thought of being stranded. I have had zero issues with Sprinters.

Any recent experiences with tubies that are sub 200gm but are still relatively durable.

To me, saving the last gram isn't worth risking safety or risking flatting out 40 mi from home on the W&OD trail.

sandico

by sandico

Got it down to 6190 swapped out FSA seat post for Forte Precision. Will keep updating this as I have several gram shaves planned. Hoping to get it to 5892 gms/ 12.99 lbs.

33 gms saddle (SLR 140 vs Alero carbon 97)
12 gms post clamp (stock clamp 22 vs. PZ racing 10)
30 gms bars (EC90 SLX3 195 vs.New Ultimate "claimed" 165)
36 gms seat post (FSA K Force 214 vs. Forte Precision 180)
40 gms (?) FD clamp (huge-ass thing LBS put on (not weighed) vs. Alero Carbon 6gms)

nosafeHAVEN

by nosafeHAVEN

I laughed as I read your post cuz I'm playing around trying to go >6.7kg on my 58cm HiMod and you are a full kilo under me. But I do have a couple tips still.

Save yourself a few bucks ($15 or so) and grab a Woodman Deathgrip SL Ti. Adds a splash of color and is also only 10g.

Looks like you are running about 170mm (rails to seat tube) exposed. So you can get away with a 250mm post and still be below the top tube.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OMNI-Racer-WORLDS-LIGHTEST-Full-Carbon-Setback-Seatpost-31-6x250mm-/370626718042?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564b12e95a
Claimed 160g.

Looks like you are running 40mm worth of spacers and a +/- 6* stem. If you arent opposed to flipping it you can add a 10mm spacer, loose the SSix conical spacer and cut the steerer down. Your bars will not move doing this. I did it and saved 48g. That conical spacer weighs 28g by its self. You would probably save ~35g. AND ITS FREE!!!

And finally, you lose a week on the bike and strip the paint and just clearcoat it!!! I cant find my pre and post weights right now but I think it lost ~120g by doing it to mine. (I did it more for a custom paint job than for the weight savings. But it was still 120g lost!)

sandico

by sandico

Thanks for those ideas, I recently bought a Forte Precision post, it looks A LOT like that one. Probably same factory in Taiwan. Anyway, I may be able to just cut it down to 250, I am not sure what it is at now.

Re the headset that's a great idea.

Less sure I want to strip the paint...maybe if I get it to 13.0001 lbs and have no other ideas!!!!

Dammit

by Dammit

With Di2, so SRAM Red would cut a fair amount off I suspect, and some shallower section wheels.

sandico

by sandico

Is that an Evo? Looks like the seat tube is back to taking 27.2 post. That cost me 40 gms going from 27.2 to 31.6.

Agreed, my Bontys are pretty minimal dish. Think they are like 1200 gms the pair.

Dammit

by Dammit

That's an old System Six- rear end is a CAAD9, front end is carbon fibre.

Lighter wheels and tyres, recon cassette, SRAM Red, I reckon that would be sub-6kg fairly easily.

Therefore- I think you'll hit your target as long as you make sensible decisions about each component.

nosafeHAVEN

by nosafeHAVEN

Remembered one other thing. Switch out your expander and top cap with a Extralite Ultrastar 2 Expander and a Tune carbon top cap and ti bolt. Its worth 38g.

12x23

by 12x23

Dammit wrote:Image

With Di2, so SRAM Red would cut a fair amount off I suspect, and some shallower section wheels.

If I ever walk in a shop, knowing this will never happen, and see a new 58cm raw hi-brite System6 frameset hanging and forgotten, it is SOLD!. I'd do retail on one now. If only ,,,,,,,,

Lovely velo, Dammit.

tommasini

by tommasini

sandico wrote:Sorry to cross post--moderator moved this to Gallery but I actually had some questions at the end:

Specs:

Honkin FD clamp (LBS special and has gotta go)
Hollow tech cranks/factory rings
Bonty xxx lite carbon tubulars
Zero G brakes
KMC X10 SL chain
Token cassette
Selle Italia SLR saddle
FSA K Force seat post
Easton EC90SL bars (interestingly these do not appear to be carbon, but they clearly say EC90 which I thought the "C" always meant carbon?)
FSA OS99 stem
Ascent cages
random cables
Nashbar carbon look bar tape
Carbon look end caps
Grease
Air

I am ordering a carbon FD clamp. I suspect any minor weight gains from swapping FD clamp will be offset by adding a comp., which I need to do.

I thought seatpost and bars were supicious but on review I think they are fairly light and replacing likely would not shave more than 10-20 grams.

Questions:

Anything else obvious here to shave more grams?

Also what's a good, simple, and light comp. to consider? I had flight deck on prior bike but obviously need something new for SRAM.

Thanks!

Before offering potential ideas - I've first gotta ask.....how much do you weigh?

And under what conditions/terrain do you ride, where do you want to be faster - up hills on the flats, or both?

Personally I've given up on setting a goal weight for my bike and instead have focused on how do I improve the combination of conditioning and recovery, total rider/bike weight, aero qualities, and making sure my bikes stand apart and best represent me.

sandico

by sandico

Since we last spoke I got an Alero FD clamp and Tufp front tubie S3 Lite. It's down to 13.42lbs now. Next steps will be replacing rear tubie which is a Conti Sprinter, and alligator cables. Also saw the suggestion here re star nut and top cap. I am starting to smell 12.99 lbs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Slam That Stem, lose the conical spacer!
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli