cannondale sisl2 + new compression plug details

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

Thisisatest, really appreciate the info you are posting, good stuff to be sure.
I'm not clear on a few of your posts. (Don't take this as complaining)

You mentioned the 109mm spindle and in the same post you stated that you are NOT posting about the SiSl 2 crank, that you are posting about the new forged Hollowgram crank. But when I reviewed the Dealer Handbook, the parts lists indicate the SiSl 2 is the crank utilizing the 109mm spindle. And the new forged Hollowgram crank utilizes the 104mm spindle.

And then a few post later you show pics of an SiSL 2 crank on a scale. So what is this Thread about? the SiSl 2 or the new forged Hollowgram cranks?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I first took apart a forged crank. It had a 109mm spindle. My coworker brought his bike in, it has the sisl2 crank, it has the same exact 109mm spindle. So both have the same spindle, even the holes drilled through the lobes, and with no shoulder.
I know i was all over the map with this topic in general. Im super-duper ADHD...

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Thought I would share this little tidbit... before I got my aviation maintenace team to take the lathe to my BB30 spindle and cut the shoulder off to make my SRM work on my EVO, I enquired to cannondale custservice about the 109m spindle and using it with my current cranks... this was the reply I received today:

A - I’m sorry for the delay on this, but I wanted to be absolutely sure that my information was up to date.
The new spindle will not work with your set up .It will only work with the SL2 asymmetric crank arms. Please ask your Retailer to check into a QC850/
that has the machined spindle and bearing shield to provide more space on the driveside. IF this is not the case, please ask your retailer to discuss with his Rep.

I asked today if the new SiSL2 cranks would work with the SRM:

A - I don't know if SRM will be able to fit their system into the new cranks, you may have to sit tight on that question for awhile

I really don't understand how either situation would not work??

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

I've not had a reply from Cannondale yet, but SRM did finally respond when I posted on their Facebook page:

Q: Will the new Hollowgram SiSL2 crankset + 109mm spindle from Cannondale be compatible with the existing Cannondale SRM

A: The new SiSL2 crankset has the same interface than the SiSL crankset and will work with our system.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I kinda figured it would work... so if it works with the SRM (same interface) it will work with the older (same interface)

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

Tisisatest; thanks for the update. It's odd that the drawing in the Dealer Handbook shows the forged crank using the 104mm spindle. Of course with any new release there will be 'issues' to be ironed out and clarifications made.

ParisCarbon wrote:A - The new spindle will not work with your set up .It will only work with the SL2 asymmetric crank arms.

I really don't understand how either situation would not work??

Asymmetric, well how do you like that. I had no idea.
In regards to the SRM compatibility, it seems so many companies are unwilling to comment on product they have no association with.

ms6073

by ms6073

I installed my hollowgram SRM on the wifes bike and in he process, had to swap the 175mm SISL arms for 170's. Bought a new set of arms on Ebay for what I considered a good price but did not pay attention to the images and was pleasantly surprised to find the 170's were SISL2 which I installed with no issues with the original spindle.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Stockie

by Stockie

Did you put the arms on your scale first?
I Will make the leap

Ufgators

by Ufgators

The crank arms are asymmetric. You will have spacing issues.

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

ms6073;
Thank you for the compatibility up-date. Seems there is so much initial confusion when a new generation part comes out. It happens with all of the tech help people in bike companies. I once asked Cannondale tech about the alloy cups intended to replace the 'normal' PF30 bottom bracket so that an SRM can be ran on an EVO. The tech had never heard of the part. Cannondale has thousands of parts and the tech people have to try and learn them all. They have their hands full.

So for your 170mm SiSL2 arms you just purchased, does it appear that the curvature of the arms is NOT symmetrical when compared to one another?

hochdave

by hochdave

thisisatest wrote:here are some pics in no particular order:
14g compression plug assembly
imagejpeg_3_2.jpg

extra-hollow spindle
IMAG1232.jpg

spindle length (109mm)
IMAG1233 resized.jpg

sisl2 crankset weight (434g arms, spider, spider lockring, rings, ring bolts)
IMAG1239 resized.jpg

What size of arms and spider do use?
What for chainring teeth?
Weigt of the spindle?

Thanks

quattrings

by quattrings

Anyone got a ballpark figure of what the new forged cranks will cost?
Want to get some for my mtb but I would hate to use real expensive cranks and get them all scuffed up because of the winter boots.

thanks

ms6073

by ms6073

skinnywellfed wrote:So for your 170mm SiSL2 arms you just purchased, does it appear that the curvature of the arms is NOT symmetrical when compared to one another?
These arms were installed on the wife's cross bike the day before we flew out on holiday so other than making sure there was no binding and shifted properly, I have to admit I did not really pay that close attention. :oops: One thing I do recall noticing was that the non-drive side spacing between stay and crank arm out at the pedal end of her SISL2 arms (installed on 2011 SRM Hollowgram) seemed be just a tad further away from the stay compared to the SISL arms on my SRM Hollogram noting that both framesets are the same manufacturer/model just in different sizes. I will be in the shop tonight prepping bikes for this weekends cross racing and if I get a chance, will take a closer look.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

timzcat

by timzcat

Since you put the arms on an old spindle I'd be real interested in what the Q-factor measures out to.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

hochdave wrote:What size of arms and spider do use?
What for chainring teeth?
Weigt of the spindle?

Thanks

172.5mm arms
53/39 NON-STOCK (old mk V) rings
dunno yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com