Lightweight wheels for not so lightweigt

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

michel2

by michel2

Hi there,
My lbs has a pair of lightweight going cheap and I'm keen to pick me up, there half the r.r.p. and I have been luring at those wheels for years.

What I would like to know from other l.w. owners here, please is :

How are they in crosswinds
Anybody here in the 90 kilo range on them
How often do you use them

I would love to buy these and I can spare the money at the moment but I hate to buy these wheels and to find out I can't ride with them .
Thanks mick

bricky21

by bricky21

Isn't there a weight limit on those wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jrobart

by jrobart

which Lightweights are they?
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

absolutely no problem,
buy with confidence,
do not worry about being 90kilos, even one day if you grow up to be a big boy the Lightweights will be awesome.

LW do not come with weight limits, they come with incredibly conservative, suggested rider weights for optimal performance.
The reality is that professional riders that crank HUGE watts have no problem spending out of pocket for the pleasure of bunny-hopping Lightweights over rotaries.

claus

by claus

reggiebaseball wrote:LW do not come with weight limits, they come with incredibly conservative, suggested rider weights for optimal performance.

Hmm, the manual (for Standard C, which you can download from their web site) says "Max. permissible total weight = rider + bicycle + luggage"
120kg

Sounds like a "weight limit" to me.

pletharoe

by pletharoe

As a heavier rider, you'll be putting high lateral loads on the wheel. Take a look at
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-23159755.html
It's an old article, but I don't think the wheel design and philosophy has changed dramatically since the tests were done.

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

I've had 3 set of LWs and currently have Gen 3 Standard tubular. I weigh 75kg, roughly. The wheels exceedingly strong and feel 'unbreakable'. I have other light wheels that certainly don't feel like this. In crosswinds, they are no problem really although they will inevitable catch more wind than a shallow rim. This might be s problem for a sub-60kg rider, but isn't an issue for me or you.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

claus wrote:
reggiebaseball wrote:LW do not come with weight limits, they come with incredibly conservative, suggested rider weights for optimal performance.

Hmm, the manual (for Standard C, which you can download from their web site) says "Max. permissible total weight = rider + bicycle + luggage"
120kg

Sounds like a "weight limit" to me.

I am so proud that as someone who has never ridden the wheels in question, you can read a manual.

As someone who rides these wheels every day, I have Gen 2 (less stiff than current production) wheels, with 12 spokes.
When they were brand new (7 years ago) they were rated to 176 lbs.
I weight 220 pounds, with another 18 of clothes shoes and bike. So 238.

These are the STIFFEST and STRONGEST wheels I have ever ridden. I ride them almost every day, thousands of miles a year, on shitty roads and down big hills.

Oh yeah, that guy Lance Armstrong rode these wheels in the Tour. Do you think you put out more torque or flex a frame more than Lance Armstrong just because you are a pig?

I will tell you one more time, even though you will never ride, buy or probably see Lightweights, other than searching their internet manuals:
They are FINE for the OP at his weight.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I have the standard clinchers and they are honestly so much better than anything ive ever ridden. Ive owned Zipp 404FC, mad fibers, all of Shimano's wheels (c24,c35,c50) and a few others. The lightweights are in a league of their own.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

claus

by claus

reggiebaseball wrote:I am so proud that as someone who has never ridden the wheels in question, you can read a manual.

How do you know I haven't ridden the "wheels in question"? Do you know me (or what I own/ride/have ridden)?

I was only pointing out that LW has actually a real weight limit -- which is above the OP's weight (unless this bike and "luggage" are real heavy.)

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

claus wrote:
reggiebaseball wrote:I am so proud that as someone who has never ridden the wheels in question, you can read a manual.

How do you know I haven't ridden the "wheels in question"? Do you know me (or what I own/ride/have ridden)?

I was only pointing out that LW has actually a real weight limit -- which is above the OP's weight (unless this bike and "luggage" are real heavy.)

Because if you had ridden them you wouldn't be saying such total rubbish.
Please let the adults talk and go play with your toys, son.

socratease

by socratease

^^

Is he serious, or just trollin?

gb103

by gb103

socratease wrote:^^

I dont know :noidea: , but what I do know is each wheel model has an individual weight restriction.

Don't listen to me I've never even touched a lightweight wheel never mind ridden one!

I just look at their website and dream

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

socratease wrote:^^

He has always been a troll. Don't let it get to you.

Regardless though, it seems that a wheelset in this price range shouldn't have a weight limit. There are tons of guys out there though who swear by their stuff. I must say though, their spoke counts have always made me skeptical.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Zen Cyclery wrote:Regardless though, it seems that a wheelset in this price range shouldn't have a weight limit.
So what, CarbonSports should design all their wheels to accommodate a super fat 500 kg (+ bike + luggage) rider? O.k., well of course that's absurd, but you think 100 kg is not o.k., so then the "proper" weight limit is somewhere in between. Well wherever it is, it is a weight limit. Why should a light rider not be able to buy a product designed for his/her weight, as opposed to for the heaviest imaginable possible rider? Even products without a stated weight limit have an implicit (unstated) actual limit, even if very high.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com